You didn't state what MacBook model you have, only the OS X version. You need a 2012 or later Mac model to communicate with iOS devices for AirDrop...
From Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac - Apple Support
To send items to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or to receive items from those devices, you need a 2012 or later Mac model with OS X Yosemite or later, excluding the Mac Pro (Mid 2012).
To send items to another Mac, you need:
- MacBook Pro (Late 2008) or later, excluding the MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2008)
- MacBook Air (Late 2010) or later
- MacBook (Late 2008) or later, excluding the white MacBook (Late 2008)
- iMac (Early 2009) or later
- Mac Mini (Mid 2010) or later
- Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)