Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: calculator errors

The calculator app in 10.13.1 continues to have issues ---> it cannot calculate e^x when x is negative. E.g., a -1 into that function results in "Not a number". Hope there is an update that addresses this issue.

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Nov 18, 2017 5:03 AM in response to MarkFly In response to MarkFly

You can just calculate 1/e^x

It always seems odd that the code of the calculator has to change. Seems like it would be a fairly stable code base.

I imagine the underlying library functions have changed. Seems odd that it wouldn't support negative exponents as it is so easy to calculate if you can already calculate a positive exponent.

Nov 18, 2017 5:03 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 5:40 AM in response to MarkFly In response to MarkFly

Yes, it is a rather ridiculous bug. I also submitted a bug report.

Fortunately the quickest and more accessible calculator in macOS seems to work perfectly fine. If you are wondering what that is, well... Spotlight.

Just type

exp(-1)

e^(-1) should work too;

or a more complex calculation like

(1+sqrt(5))/2

or ...

Nov 18, 2017 5:40 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 9:47 AM in response to Barney-15E In response to Barney-15E

Yes, I know that 1/e^x will produce the same result, but it's a pain having to remember that when one is doing calculations. Makes it easy to make mistakes and is annoying to say the least. As one person said, it's surprising that it is not more stable --- very odd.

Nov 18, 2017 9:47 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: MarkFly

Question: calculator errors