Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Please on an iPhone 3GS

Hi guys, I bought an iPhone 3GS, boxed, still partly wrapped and apparently never used. I checked the IMEI number and phone and box and it's the same.

The iPhone is locked to a network so I'll need to buy a SIM but when I remove the 30 pin USB cable from trying to charge the phone.......it's totally dead. The screen shows the "connect to iTunes" / SOS but its working whilst connected to cable / power. It's when I remove the phone from charging.....it's totally dead. Can the iPhone 3GS not charge without a SIM card?

PowerMac, iOS 9.2

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 12:17 PM

I agree with the post above. The battery is likely toast. Li-ion batteries do not respond well to being left completely without a charge for long periods of time. Considering the 3GS was discontinued over 5 years ago, I'm not surprised... Unfortunately, you can no longer get the battery for it replaced by Apple. Honestly, a quality replacement battery would cost more than the phone is worth, even from a 3rd party. Return the phone and get your money back if you can. If you can't, recycle it and go buy something else.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2017 12:17 PM in response to gareth266

I agree with the post above. The battery is likely toast. Li-ion batteries do not respond well to being left completely without a charge for long periods of time. Considering the 3GS was discontinued over 5 years ago, I'm not surprised... Unfortunately, you can no longer get the battery for it replaced by Apple. Honestly, a quality replacement battery would cost more than the phone is worth, even from a 3rd party. Return the phone and get your money back if you can. If you can't, recycle it and go buy something else.

Help Please on an iPhone 3GS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.