Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra seems to have broken Preview "open all files in one window" button

I made the mistake of upgrading to high sierra - now Preview is not able to open more than one image in one window. I can open multiple images but in multiple windows that stack which stops me working from them.

I can merge these windows into one with a set of multiple tabs that are meaningless and again stops me working from them.

Reading other forums this is also a huge problems for others as well and nobody seems to think apple are going to fix it.

Am I expecting too much for the preference "open all files in one window" button to actually work?

I suppose my question would be - Has anybody been able to open multiple files in one preview window since updating to 10.13.1? and if so how?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 12:42 PM

Running with the same problem and haven't been able to resolve it. Checked on a computer with previous version (10.12.6) and the preview preferences does show the "Open all files in one window" and checked as well and works as it should but when box is checked on the new update (10.13.2) and it does not work as it should. This should be consider a bug that would require fixing as it still has the option to check off or on but unfortunately not taking effect.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2017 12:42 PM in response to 144herbs

Running with the same problem and haven't been able to resolve it. Checked on a computer with previous version (10.12.6) and the preview preferences does show the "Open all files in one window" and checked as well and works as it should but when box is checked on the new update (10.13.2) and it does not work as it should. This should be consider a bug that would require fixing as it still has the option to check off or on but unfortunately not taking effect.

Dec 8, 2017 12:41 PM in response to Artista752

Thanks Arista - thought it was just me.

I have spent 10 hours solid today (0925 - 1930) trying to resolve this with apple support.

To be fair they could not have been more helpful.

Tried everything with them including wiping my hard drive and a fresh install of high sierra - absolutely no change.

This has been escalated to their programmers/developers with a screen video of me demonstrating the problem.

They are getting back to me next week and we'll take it from there. It is looking more like a bug than a hardware problem, but we'll see.

I'll drop a line on here once they've got back to me - in the meantime don't waste any more of your time on this and try and find a work around that you can put up with.

PS this has also buggered my print preview and print options for my epson printer.

Dec 19, 2017 3:57 AM in response to Artista752

Apple got back to me last week.

The good news is that they didn't tell me my iMac was broken and i needed a new one!

The bad news is as follows:-

The Preview issue is not a bug according to them - it is a feature they have disabled for High Sierra and have not got around to removing the "open all files in one window" yet, but will do in a future patch.

I'm really not happy with this and my options are:-

1. leave feedback on the High Sierra apple page (which I will do)

2. Wipe my pooter and reinstall an earlier OS that still has this feature (looking likely)

3. Use a 3rd party viewer (adobe acrobat or similar) to view files as i used to. (currently exploring the viewers available on the net)

4. Get a PC (not such a stupid idea)

Pretty poor answer from Apple I'm afraid - reading between the lines I think Preview is broken and they can't fix it - Its always crashed for me since Lion OS, but I've lived with it. This latest issue is too much for me.

Dec 19, 2017 7:49 AM in response to 144herbs

WOW! that is a huge bummer. I been also looking into another software that would be functioning with that same feature and as of this point no luck but will keep looking. Usually Apple makes software convenient to operator usage and knowing they would do the oposite on a very useful tool comes as a surprise to me. Thank you for the update tho!

High Sierra seems to have broken Preview "open all files in one window" button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.