Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Problem After Migration

The internal hard drive on my old iMac seems to have crashed, as I get a folder with a question mark each time I start it up now (except for once, and I was able to log in normally). I decided to get an external drive to replace it, as I am not able to take apart the iMac and replace the drive internally.

After searching these forums for help, I rebooted using the option key, and reinstalled Snow Leopard on the external hard drive. After the install, I was asked if I wanted to restore from a Time Machine backup. I chose this option, and after many hours the migration appeared complete.

However, once I tried to sign into my user account, my password was refused. I am 100% certain about my password, and my password hint confirmed that, as well as my written log. I also tried to log into my wife's account, again without luck.

Is there someway my password has changed without my authorization? What can I do to get my iMac back to normal? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 1:37 PM

2 replies

Nov 19, 2017 5:02 PM in response to Jason Moe1

Thanks for the link. I will try and follow those steps, although I have a bluetooth keyboard instead of a wired one, so I'm not sure if I will be successful (the article mentioned that I would need a wired keyboard). I am still concerned that my Admin password was changed without my authorization. How is this possible? Should I be concerned that my machine is compromised? Or is this a bug that occurs frequently?

Password Problem After Migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.