Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a broken screen. How do I use my tv as my screen

My screen is broken so that 2/3rds of it is worthless. I need to get in to read my email and print out what I need. I am connected to the tv using an hdmi but, while it initially showed the Apple logo now all I have is a gray tv screen

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 2:06 PM

8 replies

Nov 18, 2017 9:14 AM in response to Terids

And how does this help?

You asked how you can display your Mac's screen onto a HDTV. I provided you one method to do so. You really didn't provide any additional details to let us know what you already have or not.

HOW DO I DO THAT??

You don't need to shout! We're all Apple-product users here. We volunteer our time to try to help answer fellow Apple-product users questions. Apple representatives, may or may not, respond to posts.

If you would have included that you did not have an Apple TV or was not interested in getting one, I wouldn't have provided the Apple Support article.

So, now that I know, these articles may be helpful:

Nov 18, 2017 8:57 AM in response to Terids

Use this article to see the universe of options.

Use multiple displays with your Mac - Apple Support

The section on Mirroring is excessively upbeat. Mirroring forces a compromise resolution that too often fails or is less than acceptable for one display or the other. I suggest you turn Mirroring OFF. Using the Arrange pane, drag the MenuBar Icon to the external display to make it the Primary display.

Regardless or the capabilities of your HDMI display, you are (practically speaking) limited to 1920 by 1080p, unless you take extraordinary measures to make absolutely every setting and every adapter and every cable provide support for wider than 1920 wide. if you do all that, then in some cases you may get access to wider screens, often at 30-Hz refresh.

Nov 18, 2017 7:20 AM in response to Tesserax

And how does this help? I don't have AppleTV and I'm not buying it just to get access to old emails. Please read my question and answer THAT. I have an HDMI cable to connect the computer to the TV. Initially I had the Apple logo on the TV screen and then nothing but a gray screen. I need my computer screen to come up on the TV so I can see what's on the computer screen.

HOW DO I DO THAT??

Nov 18, 2017 3:50 PM in response to Tesserax

"You asked how you can display your Mac's screen onto a HDTV. I provided you one method to do so. You really didn't provide any additional details to let us know what you already have or not."

I very specifically said my screen is broken. This isn't a matter of I just want a larger screen. I have NO screen. I have a fracture that runs from the upper right corner to the lower left corner. Everything to the left and above this is gone. It's black. Below it is broken up by lines of black. This is the entire reason I need to connect my laptop to the TV. It's not for fun...it's necessity. It's that or pay oner $600 for a new screen which I would like to avoid because it's an old computer. I managed to get all the documents and photos off before the fracture went too far but I have information in emails that I need.

Nov 18, 2017 3:54 PM in response to Tesserax

Let me add...since the entire top of my screen is black, I have no menu bar. And really, you shouldn't assume people have AppleTV. If I had it I would have mentioned it. I have a MacBook Pro than is 5 years old but totally up to date, an HDMI cable and a SmartTV. Period. No screen. That is why I need to use the TV or my other laptop.

I have a broken screen. How do I use my tv as my screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.