Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

verification problems on time machine

Hi, Help!

I have had over the last 2 years or so, a message that says time machine has a problem with verification and needs to start a new backup. No problems at all so far.. except now, it has been on the first back up for several days, has consumed 350GB of the disk, and still tells me it is working on first back to complete. The thing is my disk on the Mac Pro is SSD 512GB and I use 216 of it. So it went way past the first backup. seems like its stuck in a loop. also when it is backing up, it can never catch up to the total, that total keeps getting bigger.

so if it says I have 60.5 GB to back up, it increases real-time as it backs up, and eventually, the gap between "backed up and left to back up, gets big.

Can someone help me here, please?!!!

Thank you

Alberto

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 2:22 PM

1 reply

Nov 17, 2017 2:32 PM in response to alberto299

Time Machine on Sierra does not like network drives.. like a time capsule.

If you are running any extra 3rd party anti-virus or security software turn it off and uninstall it.. that will mess with backups..

But in the end.. the problem still exists.. and our recommendation now is simply use an alternative backup.. eg I run Carbon Copy Cloner exclusively now.. since a couple of weeks ago when TM again wiped its own backup.

I suggest you erase the TC and use CCC.. If you want to run Time Machine still then use Local USB drive for it.

verification problems on time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.