Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

JPG are saved as textedit

Maybe this question is not an apple question, I don't know. I will try. I am using FireFox browser as well as Safari on certain occasions. After updating to FireFox 57, all images I drag to the desktop that are jpg are saved as TextEdit. PNGs are OK. My other iMac is OK, so it's not only the browser I suppose.

Thanks.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), 27"

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 4:29 PM

11 replies

Nov 23, 2017 7:24 AM in response to ClementClareton

ClementClareton wrote:

I suddenly have the same problem. Reinstalling didn't solve it.

Get Info on one of the files. Look at the Open With section.

Make sure the file has the correct extension. If it does, set the correct program to open that type of file in the popup menu. Then, click on Change All…

If it doesn't have the correct extension (for example, it shows txt instead of jpg), then you'll have to contact FireFox developers to ask why their program is doing that.

Nov 23, 2017 8:41 AM in response to ClementClareton

@Clement, I did not reinstall FF, it looked like it was reinstalled. Here is what I did:

I suggest before doing that, take a screenshot of your extensions, if you have many, you will need to reinstall them.

1. Menu, Help.

2. Select Troubleshooting information

3. Select Refresh FF

4. It will take some time to refresh to a brand new FF

5. After its done you will notice an archive folder on your desktop. I deleted it.

Hope this will help.

Nov 23, 2017 9:11 AM in response to Girshon Rutstein

Girshon Rutstein wrote:

@ Barney. There was an easier solution than contacting FF developers, (good luck!) All I did is added an extention .jpg to the saved txt file, which did not have an extention. But this did not make me happy, thats why I found that refreshing FF was a solution for me.

If FireFox is not adding the appropriate extension to a downloaded file, then that is a problem the FF developers need to fix. Since reinstalling fixed the problem, it might be that they fixed the problem in the version you re-installed.

However, it doesn't seem to be a solution for ClementClareton.

JPG are saved as textedit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.