Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NTL, Telewest, BlueYonder (UK) and Airport Extreme

Hi all

Just moved into a house that has BlueYonder Broadband 'pre-installed'. In the past used two types of BT Broadband, and never had a problem with the sharing the connection, between an iMac, XP Laptop, and other wireless things.

Now in new place can't get connected properly, can only connect iMac via wireless - then no more IP addresses seem to be given.

BlueYonder Tech Support say that Apple Wireless doesn't work! But they wont give me details of the modem setup to try anything.

Have checked previous threads - but no luck on any of the solutions.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Ian

iMAC 17 1.25GH + 768MB RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 15, 2007 8:30 AM

13 replies

Jan 15, 2007 12:41 PM in response to Duane

No - the BlueYonder Device is just the wired device. This provides a USB connector (for PC only) and an ethernet connection.

In the past I have generally just connected such cables to the WAN port of the Airport, and it's worked.

My Airport is not providing DCHP as that APPEARS(!) to come from the BlueYonder device.

The BlueYonder Device (A Motorola SB5101E) has only the most basic of instructions - ie plug it in, connect. Thats it!

Jan 15, 2007 2:28 PM in response to Duane

Did try that - but it seemed to loose all connectivity to internet, although IP addresses were given for all devices found.

Then reset all devices, but still no joy, left overnight, restarted - still no connection.

The 'helpline' for the telecoms blamed it on Apple Airport - saying that it just does not work - but then giving no further info.

Was hoping to get the NEW Airport Extreme, but according to the helpline I need NETGEAR!!

Jan 16, 2007 1:30 AM in response to Duane

Yes - and on occasions it will allow access to wireless internet...... but only to the iMac and none of the other devices (ie Windows XP PC). The iMac gets the one IP address it will assign.

Others link to network - but no IP given.

If I try any of the Airport options for IP addresses no access at all is allowed to the internet.

Jan 16, 2007 2:42 AM in response to Ian Skelton

Whilst this probably won't solve your problem, I can confirm that I used Telewest's Blueyonder broadband with an Airport Extreme base station (providing internet access through the household for use by a G5 and an iBook) for the last 2.5 years and never had any problems. However, the cable modem that they supplied me with was an ethernet model and I connected that way, not USB. Now that I think back, actually, I think that it might have had both USB and ethernet ports on the back, so of course I chose the latter option.

There is nothing, therefore, that is intrinsically incompatible between blueyonder and airport. The incompatibilities tend to come from the human element -- tech support people who aren't familiar with Airport, hear the word 'Apple', assume incompatibility, and find it easier to tell you to change your router to one they know rather than actually solve the real problem.

Sound familiar?

Jan 16, 2007 8:34 AM in response to Rick Lecoat

Yeah using the ethernet connection, but to no avail!

It does seem that their Tech Support hears Apple and shuts down! Did have problems with other Tech Supports with queries on BT BroadBand - always ended up solving problem myself.

What are you settings for IP distribution - DHCP from Airport? With my old modems I used on BT (BT HomeHub and an X3) I was able to check the settings on them, but Tech Support won't let me play!!!! And I can't bring the other modems over as the connection is coax - not regular phone line.

I really would like to get the Airport working as I had a great network before - secure, flexible and worked when I wanted it to!

Jan 17, 2007 2:56 AM in response to Ian Skelton

I don't have the setup any more as I've moved house, but as I recall it was DHCP from airport, yeah. The Airport had a specific IP address and the macs on the network were xxxx01 and xxxx02 or something like that (sorry it's vague but memory faileth).

One thing to check, and it's so obvious as to sound insulting (especially as you've used your Airport before) but best to clear up the obvious things first:
Is your ethernet lead from the cable modem plugged into the correct port of the Airport? Because I remember that there are two ports, one with a dotted circle icon (Ethernet WAN connection) and one with a normal ethernet icon (Ethernet connection). My first instinct was to plug the cable modem's ethernet cable in to the regular Ethernet port, but that's wrong -- it should go into the Ethernet WAN connection (the one with the dotted circular icon).

If yours is already plugged into that socket, rather than the one with the regular Ethernet icon (which is for wired connections I believe) then I'm out of helpful ideas, and need to pass the torch to somebody else better at this than I.

G5/2GHz x2 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Jan 19, 2007 2:18 AM in response to Ian Skelton

Ian,

Are you losing the airport signal or the internet connection? If the Airport Signal-O-Meter in the menu bar (you know what I mean) is still showing a usable signal strength then maybe the problem is more to do with Blueyonder. If the signal is zero, however, then the problem might be more Airport related.

I generally found Blueyonder support to be pretty good, provided that I stated up front that I was using a Mac. The exception was in November last year when my internet connection kept disappearing at the same time every night. The woman I spoke to refused to countenance the idea that the problem might be at their end and insisted that the problem was with my router. (Email was working perfectly, as was my local wifi network, so this seemed unlikely and I was certain that the problem lay with their internet servers). Never did get her to admit even the possibility of it being BY's fault and the problem continued for several weeks -- internet dropouts between about 8pm and midnight.

I don't know whether the lady was based in the UK or in a remote call centre (she had an Indian accent) but my experience is that operators working in overseas call centres are more robotic and stick-to-the-script than UK support teams. For that reason I always try and call a UK number for support nowadays. of course, the companies list 0845 numbers (or worse, 0870) which could be located anywhere, but you can use the website www.saynoto0870.com to find geographical equivalents for those numbers.

Eg. enteering the Blueyonder broadband support number (0845 142 4422) gives the geographical numbers:

01392 200653 -- Direct to Eurobell Plymouth contact centre
and
0151 4777594 -- Faults & Support (Blueyonder)

Maybe this will help you track down the root of the problem.
Best of luck...

Jan 19, 2007 11:44 PM in response to Ian Skelton

Hi Ian

I've been on Blueyonder with Airport for years now without problem.

Lately my Airport has sometimes vanished - as evidenced by the Airport signal in the menu bar becoming very weak or non-existent.

I am almost certain that this is caused by interference from a) my microwave oven b) wireless phone c) next door's wireless phone and d) next door's BT wireless router.

You might try different channels on your base station to see if that helps, or interference robustness, although that would reduce your range.

I admit I rarely call Blueyonder tech support, and their default is Windows, but they have always been fairly helpful, but naturally don't provide Airport support. Their help stops at the router.

If the signal is disappearing then it would seem to suggest that the problem is interference rather than a fault at the router end.

Adam

Jan 20, 2007 11:21 AM in response to Adam Getliff

Ian

I have also used Blueyonder for years with my Mac with no problems. However, recently I have had problems with my wireless (AirPort Express) network and new Intel iMac - the iMac would just not connect. I posted a thread and from looking at other threads decided to play around with some settings, which has worked:

- manual change to the channel number
- increasing the multicast rate
- enabling interference robustness

I suspect that the combination of a slight issue with Intel iMacs (the AirPort card's sensitivity?) and an increase in the other wireless routers around me produced the problem of not being able to connect to the network (which my Powerbook and IBM laptop had no problems connecting to).

Hope you fix your problem.

NTL, Telewest, BlueYonder (UK) and Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.