Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your screen shot can't be saved."

I just got a new MacBook Pro from work. When I attempt to take a screen shot, this message pops up, "You don’t have permission to save files in the location where screen shots are stored." Anyone have any idea how I might fix this?

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 2:25 PM

I'm guessing that the User account you're using is not named default ? or uses that as its Home Directory ?.

If that's true : run this command, which should revert the change : then log out of your account & back in again; or restart the computer.

defaults delete com.apple.ScreenCapture

However, it may be that your Work have enforced certain settings which can't readily be altered… but see if this works first.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 2:25 PM in response to artcancordia

I'm guessing that the User account you're using is not named default ? or uses that as its Home Directory ?.

If that's true : run this command, which should revert the change : then log out of your account & back in again; or restart the computer.

defaults delete com.apple.ScreenCapture

However, it may be that your Work have enforced certain settings which can't readily be altered… but see if this works first.

Nov 17, 2017 6:56 PM in response to artcancordia

You posted in the OS X Lion section : is that the version installed on your new MBP ?.

Locate the Terminal application using Spotlight or Finder - Applications - Utilities & paste in this command. followed by pressing enter/return.

defaults read com.apple.ScreenCapture

You may get a result as below, which means that your screenshots should be saved in the default location : the Desktop folder, which presumably has incorrect Permissions or Access Control list entries.

Domain com.apple.ScreenCapture does not exist

"Your screen shot can't be saved."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.