Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrong phone number for password confirmation

I am almost done with the OS installation, and when prompted to confirm my password to continue using iCloud a number is sent via phone to confirm. The trouble is that the last 2 digits of the phone number that are the only ones shown are not from my phone, and I have no idea what to do next.I have checked my account, and my original phone number is still as it should be for my trusted number.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2017 3:37 PM

Hello nzian,

Thanks for getting back to us. Since the issue persists you'll need to reach out to Apple Support. They can be reached here: Contact Apple Support

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!
3 replies

Nov 20, 2017 5:54 PM in response to nzian

Hello nzian,

I understand that you're trying to update your MacBook Air and the verification code is going to a phone number that is not yours. I can certainly understand your concern and I'd be happy to help.

Let's have you take look at this article to see if you can't get the verification code to come to your trusted device:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication
When you checked your account, is your number the only number listed under you trusted number? Is this a phone number that you've had in the past?
I look forward to hearing back from you, to help get this resolved for you.
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

Nov 21, 2017 11:56 AM in response to i_rina

Thank you for your response i-rina. I have checked that the number is correct, and the only number that I have for this purpose on my iPhone , and that is the case. I did not set up this myself and unfortunately the person who did has passed away. My thinking is that maybe I have to look in the Mac system itself ?, but I am new to this lap top and am unsure of how to, if this is the case.

wrong phone number for password confirmation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.