Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Backing up iTunes data to external HDD resulted in a smaller file than the original. cp -pr worked fine. Wondering what command or utility is deployed for the drag and drop.

Backing up iTunes data to external HDD via drag and drop resulted in a smaller file than the original. Seemed to have worked OK—didn't see any error messages. Resorted to cp -pr with success. Left wondering what command or utility is deployed by drag and drop. cp? dd? other? The problem may have occurred previously, but it isn't constant.

Mid-2012 MBP, 10.12.6.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Bruce Smith2 In response to Bruce Smith2

If you use rsync, do not overlook the -E (extended attributes) switch. Also, ditto is another copy and preserve command that is fine without any switches as most things are default. See the rsync and ditto man pages.

I imagine that the Finder copy is using appropriate Objective-C commands to achieve its goal, rather than forking out to cp, mv, rsync, or ditto.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Bruce Smith2 In response to Bruce Smith2

If you use rsync, do not overlook the -E (extended attributes) switch. Also, ditto is another copy and preserve command that is fine without any switches as most things are default. See the rsync and ditto man pages.

I imagine that the Finder copy is using appropriate Objective-C commands to achieve its goal, rather than forking out to cp, mv, rsync, or ditto.

Nov 18, 2017 8:58 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 18, 2017 9:08 AM in response to VikingOSX In response to VikingOSX

That makes sense (about the Objective-C). Although I've been using Macs for...many years...this was the first time I can recall that I did a copy this way, although I routinely used cp/rsync when I worked in a *nix environment. On the one hand, there's no contradicting the convenience of using the Finder; on the other, there's the warm fuzzies I get from using the command line, knowing a bit more about what's happening, and having more control over it. Can't say I've heard of ditto before—must be a Darwin thing? In any case, I'm interested in testing whether backing up only changes via ditto or rsync results in a usable iTunes data backup. (A stint in SQA made me wary of just about everything 😉 ) Thanks.

Nov 18, 2017 9:08 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Bruce Smith2

Question: Backing up iTunes data to external HDD resulted in a smaller file than the original. cp -pr worked fine. Wondering what command or utility is deployed for the drag and drop.