Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail won't launch after High Sierra upgrade

Since upgrading to High Sierra I've had really frustrating problems with Mail. I have several e-mail accounts: three g-mail, one Yahoo!, one iCloud, and one "other". These accounts work fine on my iPhone.

After upgrading to High Sierra on my 2016 MacBook Pro, Mail is unusable. When I click on its icon in the dock it starts, but it runs for only a second or two before quitting, with no error or other message--it just disappears.

I have tried deactivating all the mail accounts, in which case Mail seems to start and is stable. I have even deleted all the accounts and re-added them. At best Mail works for a while (like, several hours) but then resumes its unexpected quits.

What's the problem here? Do I have to downgrade to Sierra?

After two decades as an Apple customer, I have *never* had such a frustrating experience with Apple software. It makes me think that Apple is more a luxury accessories company than a computer and software company these days.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 6:09 AM

Yes, the problem does still occur in safe mode.

Or at least it did; It no longer appears to be happening, in safe mode or out. Odd, because I didn't change anything that I know of.

This is sort of an unsatisfying end to this, but at least it's working.

4 replies

Nov 19, 2017 6:31 AM in response to ambivalentmaybe

See the steps in the article Repair a disk using Disk Utility - Apple Support

Also in user library macOS Sierra: Library folder

Delete the contents of Folders Caches , Cookies and saved application state into the trash , restart the computer and empty the trash .

If the issue still persists create a new user account How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

And configure the mail account Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support

mail won't launch after High Sierra upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.