Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted APFS and bootcamp

I have a brand new Mac running 10.13. It is a company issued Mac and whole disk encryption is mandated. I want to use bootcamp to dual boot for those times I need a native boot of Windows. I run Vbox and a Windows 10 VM when I just need Windows but occasionally need to run native.

I can partition and install Windows 10 Enterprise but when I have all the Boot Camp drivers installed and I reboot I get a popup. "bootcamp has taken a fatal error and needs to reboot." I reboot and the error is back. I didn't the third time and brought up the Boot Camp widget in the control panel. It doesn't see the MacOS partition. Windows disk manager sees it but I'm not letting do anything to it. I really don't want to restore from backup if I can help it. I do a recovery reboot and from there I can select the MacOS partition to boot from.

Can anyone confirm that bootcamp is not currently compatible with an encrypted APFS partition? If that is not the problem what is? If it is the problem, any idea when Boot Camp will support encrypted APFS partitions?

Then there is one other question about bitlocker, which I would like to use on the Windows partition. How will that affect bootcamp?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 8:35 PM

Bootcamp.exe is not compatible High Sierra APFS (encrypted or unencrypted) - How to switch between Windows and macOS in macOS High Sierra - Apple Support .

BCA knows how to partition an APFS container. There are some issues with partitioning, if you do not have enough space, or local snapshots reduce available space.

1 reply

Encrypted APFS and bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.