Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Why doesn't clicking on pngs open Preview?

A few weeks ago, Preview started going MIA. After years of faithfully showing pngs, jpgs, etc. when I click on them, Preview ignores them.

(The click on the image files causes the obsolete HP Photosmart Studio to slowly rise up and crash.)

To open a file in Preview, I have to open Preview and use its menu commands or drop the file on the Preview icon.

How can I reset my system so clicking on pngs etc. will open Preview without any fuss?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

Select one of your png's highlight it and press Command- i to get the info window up. Go to Open With and select Preview from the drop down, and then press Change All so all your png's will now open with Preview.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Question marked as Apple Recommended

Nov 18, 2017 12:57 AM in response to crabpaws In response to crabpaws

Select one of your png's highlight it and press Command- i to get the info window up. Go to Open With and select Preview from the drop down, and then press Change All so all your png's will now open with Preview.

Nov 18, 2017 12:57 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: crabpaws

Question: Why doesn't clicking on pngs open Preview?