Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop is not an option in my new MacBook?

Hello,

I bought a new MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017) two weeks ago. It's updated to macOS High Sierra (version 10.13.1). It should have the Airdrop function, but it doesn't.

Airdrop doesn't appear in my Finder sidebar and the option to put it in the sidebar doesn't even appear, as you can see in the pictures below.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

When I search "Airdrop" in my Spotlight, the option for Airdrop shows up, but when I click into it it says the item cannot be found (see pictures below).

User uploaded file User uploaded file

This was also a problem that showed up in my old MacBook Air, and I was thinking maybe it's something that was transferred to my new MacBook because I used Time Machine to transfer all my files over?

Please help! I find the Airdrop function really useful and I used it a lot when it worked on my old MacBook Air.

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 7:45 PM

10 replies

Nov 17, 2017 8:05 PM in response to The-Blob

Just rebooted in Safe Mode. I have weird display glitches now and everything's laggy... Also Airdrop still doesn't show up as an option in Finder and when I search Airdrop in Spotlight the option has disappeared as well.

User uploaded file

Edit: Just searched it up, apparently graphic performance lag is expected in Safe Mode.

Nov 17, 2017 8:20 PM in response to 180233

Thank you for checking. Safe Boot disables graphics acceleration, which causes the glitches and lag. The AirDrop app is located deep within a system folder. Let's see if we can find it!

Open a Finder window. Then choose Go in the menu bar. Then click "Go to Folder" and paste this path in:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Applications

It should open a window like this:

User uploaded file

Do you have AirDrop listed in this folder?

Nov 17, 2017 9:10 PM in response to 180233

Do this in the same account that's having the AirDrop issue.

"Apply to enclosed items" takes the permissions you see there and applies it to everything within your home folder (all files and folders), which ensures consistency.

The permissions you see in your screenshot are the same permissions my Home folder has - I'm not sure if "apply to enclosed items" will grant other users the ability to access this account's Home folder or not. But regardless, running the terminal command after "apply to enclosed items" should secure the Home folder again anyways.

Let us know how it goes!

Airdrop is not an option in my new MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.