Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making a Bootable El Capitan, with macOS HS

I need to install OS X 10.11 in order to update the firmware on my camera.

I am currently running macOS High Sierra. I downloaded the “Install OS X El Capitan” from the App Store.

Following the Apple Support Document (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372) dated Oct 26, 2017, I followed the directions using terminal to create a SD Card “Install OS X El Capitan”.

However, when I booted from the SD card, it says the card is not GUID partitioned. Disk utility is not providing an option to change the partition to GUID scheme on the SD card.

Any ideas why?User uploaded file

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13), i5 4 GB Ram (early 2015)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 7:33 PM

4 replies

Nov 17, 2017 8:40 PM in response to bechard

Thanks for the responses. I am thinking the problem is that I can not add a GUID partition via Disk Utility.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Maybe I am missing a step (or forgetting something) but in the past I remember being able to set the GUID partition in Disk Utility.

Then, I reboot the computer and hold down the “Option” Key and Choose the SD card, and at the operating system installed on the SD card.

And from then on I could boot my Mac from the SD card if I wanted.

Nov 18, 2017 4:20 AM in response to bechard

If you have the Installer application on your computer then use it to boot your computer. Insert your SD card. When the computer has started it will show the splash screen like you posted. Use the link provided to select the target disk for installation. Now you will need to select Disk Utility from the screen's Utilities' menu bar. Now, do the following:

Drive Partition and Format - El Capitan or Later

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utility Menu.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the SD card (out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID) from the side list.
  3. Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility toolbar. A panel should drop down.
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button and click on the Done button when it is activated.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Making a Bootable El Capitan, with macOS HS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.