Related Article

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How can I disable incoming mail for an account but still allow outgoing for it

I am trying to minimise spam for an Optusnet mail account by passing through the Gmail spam filter. I would still like to use the Optusnet account as outgoing mail address.

So, what I want to be able to do is to disable the Incoming Mail Server but still process the Outgoing Mail Server. Is this possible? I have tried putting a non-existent server as the Host Name but the Mail app complains when it tries to Fetch.

I do have a sort-of workaround whereas I have a dummy (new) Optusnet account as the Incoming Server UserName, but now my drafts and sent items go to that account rather than my real one.

I want to make this work because the Gmail spam filter is great. After I set my account up, I need to replicate the settings for my wife's account too.

Any suggestions?

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

Hi. You can turn off Mail for the account in Settings > Accounts & Passwords (Settings > Mail in earlier iOS versions). But the outgoing servers for all the accounts are available in the SMTP settings for each account. So, you can take a different account (gmail?) and switch the SMTP settings (turn them off and on) so you send from Optusnet.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Question marked as Apple Recommended

Nov 18, 2017 7:32 PM in response to graham.clarke In response to graham.clarke

Hi. You can turn off Mail for the account in Settings > Accounts & Passwords (Settings > Mail in earlier iOS versions). But the outgoing servers for all the accounts are available in the SMTP settings for each account. So, you can take a different account (gmail?) and switch the SMTP settings (turn them off and on) so you send from Optusnet.

Nov 18, 2017 7:32 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: graham.clarke

Question: How can I disable incoming mail for an account but still allow outgoing for it