Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disable incoming mail for an account but still allow outgoing for it

I am trying to minimise spam for an Optusnet mail account by passing through the Gmail spam filter. I would still like to use the Optusnet account as outgoing mail address.

So, what I want to be able to do is to disable the Incoming Mail Server but still process the Outgoing Mail Server. Is this possible? I have tried putting a non-existent server as the Host Name but the Mail app complains when it tries to Fetch.

I do have a sort-of workaround whereas I have a dummy (new) Optusnet account as the Incoming Server UserName, but now my drafts and sent items go to that account rather than my real one.

I want to make this work because the Gmail spam filter is great. After I set my account up, I need to replicate the settings for my wife's account too.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 11:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 7:32 PM

Hi. You can turn off Mail for the account in Settings > Accounts & Passwords (Settings > Mail in earlier iOS versions). But the outgoing servers for all the accounts are available in the SMTP settings for each account. So, you can take a different account (gmail?) and switch the SMTP settings (turn them off and on) so you send from Optusnet.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2017 7:32 PM in response to graham.clarke

Hi. You can turn off Mail for the account in Settings > Accounts & Passwords (Settings > Mail in earlier iOS versions). But the outgoing servers for all the accounts are available in the SMTP settings for each account. So, you can take a different account (gmail?) and switch the SMTP settings (turn them off and on) so you send from Optusnet.

How can I disable incoming mail for an account but still allow outgoing for it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.