Question: Macbook Pro won't boot after installing High Sierra
I installed High Sierra on my Macbook Pro and it seemed to go fine until the last step when it was restarting the computer. There was a long wait where a load bar indicated the status of the install. That finished and then the system tried to reboot. The load bar filled to 100% but never gave me the login page and I haven't been able to get past black screen with the apple icon and load bar since then.
Things that I've tried so far that haven't worked:
1) Recovery Mode-- the system does not give me disk utility when I try to use recovery mode, I just go straight to the apple icon and load bar
2) Internet Recovery Mode-- I get the globe and when that finishes, instead of giving me disk utility it sends me straight to the apple icon and load bar
3) Safe Mode-- goes straight to apple icon and load bar
4) Reset NVRAM-- reset works, but I still get stuck on loading screen
5) SMC reset-- I still get stuck on loading screen
6) Running fsck from single user mode-- it says that the disk seems OK but I still can't boot
7) Choosing my drive from the startup manager-- doesn't boot, when using startup manager the only option is my mac HD disk
Errors that seem weird when I start in single user mode:
disk1s1: device is not readable
disk1s1: IO failed, error = 13
hfs_mountfs: buf_meta_bread failed with 13
hfs_mount: hfs_mountfs returned error=13 for device unknown-dev
hfs_mountroot failed: 13
er_state_obj_get_for_recovery:36883:No ER state object -rolling is not happening, nothing to recover.
apfs_vfsop_mount:1272: failed to retreive boot-manifest-hash
(there is more, but I'm not sure which parts are the most helpful so I will stop here.
I haven't tried re-installing OS from a USB because I don't own one
If anyone has experience with this issue and knows a fix, please let me know!
Thanks for reading this clunky and un-informed post. Any suggestions are appreciated.
MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)