Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crash upon security update Sierra 2017-001 31 October 2017

Hi I was updating my Macbook Pro with the latest security update 2017-001 for Sierra and now it hangs and has become unusable, same on an iMac and there was no issue. How do I resolve this ?

thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 1:00 AM

8 replies

Nov 26, 2017 11:40 PM in response to nlesh

nlesh wrote:

In safe mode computer starts up but very slow, what I did is download the update from the downloads page Apple.com site. So redid the update but not through the App store because there it thought I already downloaded it. This resolved it. However this cost me considerable time to do and downtime from my work. This just happens to often in the last 4 years, deeply disappointing and no compensation of course for the damages I and many others incur etc. This just should not happen, never.

Sierra is still available via the App Store. I would download it and save it somewhere safe and make a bootable USB drive in the event you ever have an issue. I have always made one in the event of a catastrophe like you had. We are at the mercy of other human beings that make errors as we all do. Sorry for your disappointment in Apple. I have experienced similar issues but have always had the peace of mind that I am on the BEST OS and Devices available. I always backup to an external SSD drive before applying an update.This insures me against a "flawed" update or install. Disable auto update in your preferences. This way you can make the decision to update or not.

BTW you can always re-download apps you previously got via the App Store. Simply go to Purchased in the menu and it will be there. If not, search for it in the Purchased selection.

Get an external backup drive. Make it bootable via this app.

Mac Backup Software | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software

If you crash or experience a software issue you can boot from that drive and not lose down time and apply your backup to the internal drive.

Use this app to make a bootable USB Drive on an 8 GB or higher.

http://diskmakerx.com/

Good Luck!

User uploaded file

Nov 18, 2017 3:33 PM in response to nlesh

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, nlesh.
If I understand your post correctly, since updating your MacBook Pro it lags and has been slow to respond. I'd like to help.
Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes corrects the issue. This article will tell you how: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
If everything is working correctly in safe mode, but is not working when you get back to your user account, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.
If the issue continues while in safe mode, a test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. If the issue happens in the test user also, then please check the section titled "If an issue happens in more than one user account."
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Nov 20, 2017 9:22 AM in response to amandal80

In safe mode computer starts up but very slow, what I did is download the update from the downloads page Apple.com site. So redid the update but not through the App store because there it thought I already downloaded it. This resolved it. However this cost me considerable time to do and downtime from my work. This just happens to often in the last 4 years, deeply disappointing and no compensation of course for the damages I and many others incur etc. This just should not happen, never. thanks

Nov 26, 2017 10:30 PM in response to nlesh

In safe mode computer starts up but very slow, what I did is download the update from the downloads page Apple.com site. So redid the update but not through the App store because there it thought I already downloaded it. This resolved it. However this cost me considerable time to do and downtime from my work. This just happens to often in the last 4 years, deeply disappointing and no compensation of course for the damages I and many others incur etc. This just should not happen, never.

Crash upon security update Sierra 2017-001 31 October 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.