Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Removed Partition, Lost Capacity

I am running latest OS on a 2015 MacBook pro. I have a white WD Mypassport Ultra 1GB that was partitioned with 330GB for Time Machine (Mac OS Extended - Encrypted), and the remainder for media storage (ExFat). The time machine is Partition 1, and is full. The media in Partition 2 has been moved to another disk to allow increase in size of time machine.

What I have done:

- Tried to increase the size of the time machine in disk utility - partition.

- Erased and removed Partition 2.

- Discovered conflict below, and tried to add Partition 2 back in

Conflict:

"Disk Utility - Partition" Shows Time Machine is 1TB only partition, and

"Disk Utility" shows time External Drive - Time Machine as a 330GB Volume.

I.e. The change has not translated through to volume property.

User uploaded file

Image Above: Disk Utility as is

User uploaded file

Image 2 above: Disk Utility - Partition, as is

User uploaded file

Image 3 above: Trying to reinstate partition (Mac OX Ext Encrypted attempt)

User uploaded file

Image 4 above: same error message on all attempts to reinstate Partition 2.

Image 5 below: ran "diskutil cs list" (ref: Disk Utility won't let me resize a partition), could not understand UDID.

User uploaded file

Please advise:

Can I fix this and how? Can it be fixed to 1TB volume? If not, can I add the second partition back in to reclaim usage of the other 670GB (as a new Time Machine Drive)? Should I try to add the 2nd partition, format it as Mac OS Extended - Encrypted, and then try stretch the first partition.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 11.1, Op System is High Sierra 10.13.1

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 18, 2017 7:50 AM in response to tkyoung75 In response to tkyoung75

Hi,

I would erase the disk, format the whole thing as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID and use it for your TM backup. Note that you will lose your existing TM backup, which could be saved to a different HD if you really need to save it.

Nov 18, 2017 7:50 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: tkyoung75

Question: Removed Partition, Lost Capacity