Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

last Update WIN10 I use with Bootcamp now prevents to start with or switch over to macOS High Sierra

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Pro late 2016 with touchbar. I am using macOs High Sierra and Win10 via Bootcamp. Everything was fine until the last WIN10-Upgrade (KB4048951, 404954 and 4049011). Strating from then WIN10 somehow prevents the Mac from starting in MacOS rather than in WIN10. If I click on the Boot Camp icon and then choose "restart in macOS" an alert window informs that the system can't find the startup volume of macOS.

I asked the Apple Support and after several other tries ,we started the disk repair via cmd+R at start. The system was fond and I could access macOS.

But when I then switched back to WIN10, again WIN10 prevents macOS from starting.

At the end Apple support adviced me to reinstall macOS, what I did this morning.

Again macOS was starting fine, but again switching to WIN10 it prevents to get over to macOS.

I then tried to restore WIN10 to the point previous to the last updates, but nothing changed.

Does anybody have a clue and solution?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.1, using Boot Camp

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2017 5:24 AM

Problem seams resolved! I don't really know what happened. I was about to start a WIN10 session in order to control the power settings as you suggested and a message popped up saying "disk repairing ...". When this finished, WIN10 started up regularly. When I shut down and restarted the system, macOS started up. I shut down again and then pressed alt/opt at new switch on. Choice between Bootcamp and macOS displayed. Again I chose WIN10 and after start I shut down again. Then switched on with alt/opt pressed and the choice between he two systems displayed! Since one week it didn't work, now, after this "disk repairing" message, everything works properly. Thank you Loner T anyway for your support and advice. It was highly appreciated!!

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2017 5:24 AM in response to Loner T

Problem seams resolved! I don't really know what happened. I was about to start a WIN10 session in order to control the power settings as you suggested and a message popped up saying "disk repairing ...". When this finished, WIN10 started up regularly. When I shut down and restarted the system, macOS started up. I shut down again and then pressed alt/opt at new switch on. Choice between Bootcamp and macOS displayed. Again I chose WIN10 and after start I shut down again. Then switched on with alt/opt pressed and the choice between he two systems displayed! Since one week it didn't work, now, after this "disk repairing" message, everything works properly. Thank you Loner T anyway for your support and advice. It was highly appreciated!!

Nov 23, 2017 12:38 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Lyoner T, thanks for your reply which unfortunately wasn't really helpful, since the procedure to switch from WIN10 to macOS under Bootcamp aren't workinG, as I Trier to explain in my post.

Since last friday I'm in contact with the support center, but that didn't resolve the problem either.

It seams that somehow WIN10 is now writing something in the NVRAM when shutting down. In fact when I press opt+cmd+R+P together with the on/off key and hold everything pressed for 20 sec, the NVRAM is cancelled and macOS starts again. A rather uncomfortable way to switch between the two operating systems...

So I'm still waiting for a really solving clue.

This just to update the post.

Nov 23, 2017 8:15 AM in response to Loner T

Here is the response from Diskutil:
/dev/disk0 (internal):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme 500.3 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 249.0 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 250.5 GB disk0s3
4: Windows Recovery 482.3 MB disk0s4
/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: APFS Container Scheme - +249.0 GB disk1
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 95.9 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 22.0 MB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 520.8 MB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume VM 1.1 GB disk1s4

So it seems that macOS indeed converted the macOS partition into APFS.

Nov 25, 2017 6:46 AM in response to Loner T

OK, tested both and both lead to the same result: after WIN10 was running and shut down, using either one or the other suggested method, macOS starts at the next switch on. But if I start again WIN10, however, the situation returns the previous, meaning that the alt/opt key at startup doesn't work and WIN10 starts independently.

Nov 25, 2017 7:10 AM in response to Loner T

Alt/Option doesn't simply display anything. WIN10 just starts if a WIN10 session was previously started and then shut down. If I came from a macOS session, alt/opt works correctly. I tried to roll back the last Upgrades (KB4048951, 404954 and 4049011) but nothing changes. I also tried to roll back further but nothing changed either. No previous backup before problem available.

Nov 26, 2017 6:33 AM in response to Handrock

Handrock wrote:

I was about to start a WIN10 session in order to control the power settings as you suggested and a message popped up saying "disk repairing ...". When this finished, WIN10 started up regularly.

If the previous shutdown does not complete correctly, W10 will continue to boot, till a clean shutdown happens. Please remember to back up your OSes.

last Update WIN10 I use with Bootcamp now prevents to start with or switch over to macOS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.