Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPrint iOS V11

When using AirPrint with iOS V11 to my HP Officejet Pro the output on A4 paper comes out at 3 1/2 x 5 inches by default more often than not!

This problem occurs with Mail and Safari. If I wait 20-30 seconds after selecting the printer to use the image of the output in the preview screen will often change in size? If I try to use the App Switcher option having started the print job I cannot always get to see the 'print job' window? When I do see the job I notice the 'Options' size is set to 3 1/2 x 5 inches just like like your example in 'Use of AirPrint' facility at support.apple.com/en-ghHT201387.

In summary it appears very hit and miss getting the print job to use A4 size when printing!

This problem doesn't occur when using other many other apps to print pages (e.g. iBooks).

This problem did not occur when I had iOS V10 on my iPhones and iPad.

This problem has been blamed on HP AirPrint support but I feel my experience as described above indicates that iOS V11 is partially to blame.

iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 12:02 PM

Thanks for the clarification on how AirPrint works. This clears up a lot of my doubts as to where the problem lies. It appears that my iPad and iPhones have a dialogue with my printer at the time of the request and receive inconsistent replies when setting paper size!! Hence the random output sizes!

2 replies

Nov 20, 2017 9:01 AM in response to robertfromstroud

Hi robertfromstroud,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like you are having trouble with the size when printing with AirPrint. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting and this is isolated to the Safari and Mail apps and not other apps. I would recommend you read this article, it has more information about the size of the print if the HP Officejet Pro has a paper sensor.

AirPrint does not have the option to change the paper size. However, if your printer has a paper sensor, AirPrint automatically adjusts the print size to the detected paper. If your printer has a control panel with the option to change paper sizes, you can change the paper size and the Apple iOS device detects the new paper through AirPrint, and then scales the printout accordingly.

NOTE: If the paper size selected and the paper size loaded are not the same, an error might display on both the printer and device, asking for confirmation that the correct paper is loaded. If the incorrect paper size is loaded, the Apple iOS device scales the printout to the paper size selected on the printer.

Figure : Paper size displayed on Apple iOS device
User uploaded file

HP Printers - Printing with Apple AirPrint (iOS) | HP® Customer Support

Cheers.

AirPrint iOS V11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.