Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can't sync photo albums to iPhone anymore!

After iOS update 11xx it is impossible to sync photo albums created in "Photos" on my iMac with "Photos" on my iPhone 6. The albums show up (in iPhone), but they all contain 0 photos.

When syncing there are no error messages in iTunes (as if everything is fine)???

Does anyone have a solution?

I sync using usb (as I always have done). I don´t use iCloud (its never been necessary earlier).

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Feb 2, 2018 7:24 PM in response to nepogp In response to nepogp

Hi. I reported this to Apple back in October last year. My problem was with 2 iPads but the issue IS the ios and not the devices. Photo sync would either simply drop out, or I'd get an internal device error message or it would say cancelling sync before it got to the end. Syncs music & movies fine but fails on the photos - have albums with 0 pictures, pictures in the wrong albums, iPads are telling me there's masses more photos on there than are actually visible, sometimes it syncs 1000, 2000, 3000 photos before failing, other times it's on hundreds.... all very frustrating. I went through Apple Support initially who escalated it to a higher level team. They spent nearly two weeks ringing me back and trying various "ideas" to fix the problem, each call was well over an hour as they were remotely watching exactly what was happening. My iMac, 2 iPads & Macbook Pro were all checked for bugs/issues and found to be clean and functioning correctly. After extensive testing they concluded it's a bug (in ios 11) and escalated the issue to their Engineering/Dev Team who will apparently work on a fix. They also said they'd be in touch again but it's now February and I'm still waiting, as are you all. I now read the "fixes" list on every ios update hoping that it will mention this issue but still nothing. I have a direct line for the man at Apple who was helping me and am considering ringing to see if there's any news. If I hear anything useful I'll post it.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Nov 18, 2017 6:49 AM in response to nepogp In response to nepogp

Which system is running on your Mac?

The albums show up (in iPhone), but they all contain 0 photos.

Do the photos sync? Are you seeing the photos outside the albums?

Is your Photos Library the system photo library (in Photos > Preferences > General: Use as system photo library)?

Nov 18, 2017 6:49 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 8, 2018 12:00 PM in response to léonie In response to léonie

No, but I can see that there are two photo librarys?

Fotos-bibliotek.photoslibrary

Fotos-bibliotek 2.photoslibrary

Its the 2nd one that seems to be active. When I double click the 1st one it says it cant add these photos to my library.

I will try to remove the iPod photo cache from the 2nd library, but first I want to hear your thoughts regarding the two libraries.

Jan 8, 2018 12:00 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 16, 2018 11:08 AM in response to nepogp In response to nepogp

Sorry, I did not see your reply.

No, but I can see that there are two photo librarys?

Fotos-bibliotek.photoslibrary

Fotos-bibliotek 2.photoslibrary

You should be able to switch between these libraries by double-clicking each library in turn to open it and to browse it.

iTunes will sync with the library that has been selected as your system photos library. You can make a library your system photos library, when it is open in Photos. Then got to the Photos > Preferences > General. Click "Use as System Photo Library", if the option is not grayed out. The system Photo Library is visible in other applications in the Media Browser and iTunes can sync with it.

When I double click the 1st one it says it cant add these photos to my library.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you trying to import the photos from the first library to the second to merge them? Photos cannot merge libraries, unless you upload them to iCloud Photo Library and merge them in iCloud.

Jan 16, 2018 11:08 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 17, 2018 6:37 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Thanks for replying..no worries:)

Well first of all, I wanted to let you know that there for some reason are two libraries. I dont know why. The system must have created the second library for some reason at some point, maybe it copied the first library?

I believe that all my photos are in the second library, since it is the largest file. I dont know if the first library is important or not. It would only be important if it contains pictures that I dont have in the second library.

I am not trying to merge the libraries..I only wanted to point out how they react when I double click on their icons: the first one came up with the message I wrote earlier..the second one opens my Photos app! So I guess its the second one that is my library of use.

So basically I just wanted your response before I tried removing my cache file.

Do I only need to delete my cache from the second library?

It will not delete any photos? (I have mostly photos that are from real cameras like canon etc)

Can I safely delete the first library (the one that apparently is not in use)?

How can I check the content of the first library before I delete it?

Thank you,

Nepo

Jan 17, 2018 6:37 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 20, 2018 6:56 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

OK forget my questions from my last post. I just tried deleting the iPod photo cache. Restarted iTunes and tried syncing albums from my mac to my phone again, The result is the same: Itunes starts syncing..goes thru every step..tells me how many photos it is going to transfer etc., but it never transfers anything. Itunes does not come up with any error message. The albums I want to sync are correctly showing up on my iPhone, but they all contain 0 pictures.

I've heard that this problem started after iPhone updated its iOS some months back. Thousands of people are apparantly having the exact same issues! And I also heard that Apple has no solution!!? If that is the case, then can you please just verify it?

Jan 20, 2018 6:56 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 28, 2018 5:27 AM in response to nepogp In response to nepogp

I am still waiting to get my iPhone back - I had to send it in for battery replacement. So I cannot do any testing.

The last time I could test to sync photos from my Photos Library to my iPhone 5s (iOS 11.2.5) with iTunes, a week ago, no albums synced at all, only the photos. When I sync the same Photos Library to my iPad 3 (iOS 9.3.1) all albums appear on the iPad as they should. iTunes Photo sync may be broken on iOS 11.2.5, but it is hard to say without being able to test.

iIf you have more than one library, Tunes will use the library, that is designated as the system photo library. You can see, if a library is the system photo library, if you open it in Photos and check Photos > Preferences > General. "Use as System Photo Library" will be grayed out, if it is set correctly.

Jan 28, 2018 5:27 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 28, 2018 5:37 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

It cannot hurt to remove the photo cache folder from the library. It is just storing the smaller versions of your photos, that will be synced to the iOS device. iTunes is syncing the photos in a smaller, optimized version. If this folder is corrupted, items may be missing after a sync. The only draw-back of deleting this folder will be, that the next sync will take longer, because iTunes has to recreate the cached smaller versions.

About Photo Cache folders - Apple Support

If removing the cache does not help, it might be a library corruption. Then it might help to repair the library. See: https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/repair-the-library-pht6be18f93/mac

If the library is an iCloud library, repairing is a very extension operation. The library will need to upload again to iCloud.

Try to find out, if your libraries need to be merged into one, if the library you are not using has photos that are missing from the other library. just double the library you want to view to open it. If it does not open, try to repair it.

Jan 28, 2018 5:37 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 29, 2018 5:16 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

So I repaired my photo library and tried syncing again with my iphone. Same result..No photos are synced.

As I suggested earlier, the issue is an Apple IOS update, that causes the malfunction. And as I understand, there is no solution yet. Please look into this theory and let me know.

Jan 29, 2018 5:16 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Feb 2, 2018 7:24 PM in response to nepogp In response to nepogp

Hi. I reported this to Apple back in October last year. My problem was with 2 iPads but the issue IS the ios and not the devices. Photo sync would either simply drop out, or I'd get an internal device error message or it would say cancelling sync before it got to the end. Syncs music & movies fine but fails on the photos - have albums with 0 pictures, pictures in the wrong albums, iPads are telling me there's masses more photos on there than are actually visible, sometimes it syncs 1000, 2000, 3000 photos before failing, other times it's on hundreds.... all very frustrating. I went through Apple Support initially who escalated it to a higher level team. They spent nearly two weeks ringing me back and trying various "ideas" to fix the problem, each call was well over an hour as they were remotely watching exactly what was happening. My iMac, 2 iPads & Macbook Pro were all checked for bugs/issues and found to be clean and functioning correctly. After extensive testing they concluded it's a bug (in ios 11) and escalated the issue to their Engineering/Dev Team who will apparently work on a fix. They also said they'd be in touch again but it's now February and I'm still waiting, as are you all. I now read the "fixes" list on every ios update hoping that it will mention this issue but still nothing. I have a direct line for the man at Apple who was helping me and am considering ringing to see if there's any news. If I hear anything useful I'll post it.

Feb 2, 2018 7:24 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: nepogp

Question: Can't sync photo albums to iPhone anymore!