Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updates on Ipad

Hi. I have old Ipad and has ios 10 and did not upgrade to ios 11. Do we still get security updates or support has been stopped completely? Are our data still safe on ipad with older version of ios?

Thank you .

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 10:42 AM

Nothing wrong with using an older iDevice on an older unsupported iOS.

My wife and I are still using our older iPad 2 and 3 on iOS 9.3.5 for over a year now.

No issues.

If your iPad IS an iPad 4th generation,

The iPad 4th generation is ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 11

With the introduction of iOS 11, ALL support for older 32 bit iDevices and any iOS 32 bit apps has ended.

Your iPad 4 is a 32 bit hardware device.

The new 64 bit coded iOS 11 ONLY supports newer 64 bit hardware iDevices and 64 bit software, now.

The iPad 4 is incompatible with this new iOS, now.

No need to panic or worry though.

Your iPad 4th gen will still work and function as it always has, but will no longer receive any more app updates sometime in the foreseeable future.

The 4th gen iPad has had over 5 years of iOS upgrades/updates

The final app updates your 4th gen iPad will receive will be its last!

Your iPad 4 will survive and stay a viable, functioning iPad for another year, perhaps two.

Currently, iPad 4 models are STILL receiving app updates, but look for this change over time.

This is why Apple introduced the new, lower cost 2017 iPad 5 model, in April

Apple is trying to get older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen Mini iPad users to upgrade to more modern iPad hardware in anticipation of iOS 11, which will render all older 32 bit iDevices obsolete.

Good Luck to You!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2017 10:42 AM in response to stephan247

Nothing wrong with using an older iDevice on an older unsupported iOS.

My wife and I are still using our older iPad 2 and 3 on iOS 9.3.5 for over a year now.

No issues.

If your iPad IS an iPad 4th generation,

The iPad 4th generation is ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 11

With the introduction of iOS 11, ALL support for older 32 bit iDevices and any iOS 32 bit apps has ended.

Your iPad 4 is a 32 bit hardware device.

The new 64 bit coded iOS 11 ONLY supports newer 64 bit hardware iDevices and 64 bit software, now.

The iPad 4 is incompatible with this new iOS, now.

No need to panic or worry though.

Your iPad 4th gen will still work and function as it always has, but will no longer receive any more app updates sometime in the foreseeable future.

The 4th gen iPad has had over 5 years of iOS upgrades/updates

The final app updates your 4th gen iPad will receive will be its last!

Your iPad 4 will survive and stay a viable, functioning iPad for another year, perhaps two.

Currently, iPad 4 models are STILL receiving app updates, but look for this change over time.

This is why Apple introduced the new, lower cost 2017 iPad 5 model, in April

Apple is trying to get older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen Mini iPad users to upgrade to more modern iPad hardware in anticipation of iOS 11, which will render all older 32 bit iDevices obsolete.

Good Luck to You!

Nov 18, 2017 8:31 AM in response to stephan247

You do not say exactly which older iPad model you have. I suspect that is's a 4th generation iPad if it is on IOS 10 but not upgraded to IOS 11.

The list of devices that can upgrade to IOS 11 is here: iOS 11 is compatible with these devices - Apple Support

It is very rare for Apple to release updates for older IOS versions once a new major version has been released, so it is true to say that the older devices will no longer receive security updates, and yes that is potentially a problem.

So is it safe to use it?? 'Probably'.. is my answer. There are very few (if any) attacks launched against IOS devices, and they are designed to be inherently secure. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd be massively more comfortable using an unpatched iPhone/iPad than I would an unpatched windows PC.

I have for instance an iPhone 5 which has just fallen out of IOS support. If my 6s (which is supported) failed, I'd not think twice about using the 5 for a few days whilst I sorted out a repair or a newer device.

updates on Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.