Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: After High Sierra upgrade, Mail not working

After I upgraded to High Sierra (10.13.1) on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), Mail did not open. I went to user/Library/Mail. There is a red minus sign badge on the folder icon. I did a Get Info, and my admin permissions showed a name of "Fetching...". I deleted that permission line, and inserted a new one, with my username and permissions of Read & Write. I then tried to open the Mail app, and got an IMMEDIATE dialog box named Mail Upgrade, with a progess bar and a link to Help. Both buttons (Quit and Continue) on this dialog box are disabled. I have now waited 24 hours. The progress bar is all blue, but the buttons remain disabled. I quit Mail from the Mail menu, waited a minute or so, and attempted to restart Mail. The same dialog box re-appeared. I checked Mail's CPU usage in Activity Monitor, and it is present but negligible (CPU is 94% idle). What do I need to do to get my mail back?

Thx,

Bill

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 18, 2017 9:44 AM in response to tygb In response to tygb

I created a new admin user account, logged off, logged back in the new account, opened Mail, chose Add Account from the menu, and entered the information requested. Hit Enter, and got a spinning wheel, now been that way for at least 15 minutes.

Nov 18, 2017 9:44 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 10:28 AM in response to tygb In response to tygb

Sorry, I'm not quite clear on what you are asking. Do you mean, after "have you installed...", any of those SINCE I created the new user account, or since I upgraded to High Sierra? If so, that answer is no. If you mean do I have such stuff on my computer, I do have Avast anti-virus. Are you suggesting I uninstall Avast?

Also, perhaps I should have mentioned originally that the user/Library/Mail folder still has the red minus badge after I corrected permissions. And, of course, Mail was working fine on my computer before I upgraded to High Sierra, and it is currently working fine on my iPad and iPhone (both at 11.1.1).

Nov 18, 2017 10:28 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 1:22 PM in response to William Day In response to William Day

Since I wrote the last, I have gone back to the GetInfo dialog for user/Library/Mail, and chose 'Make "Me" the owner'. Now, the red minus badge is gone. However, when I open Mail, the only result is still that the dialog box titled Mail Upgrade comes up. How can I make this dialog box go away, so I can see if Mail will open normally? I have tried dragging the Cache and Cookies folders to Desktop. The Cookies folder moved, but the Cache folder copied. Do I need to delete the Cache folder in user/Library?

Nov 18, 2017 1:22 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 2:12 PM in response to William Day In response to William Day

I deleted the Cache folder from user/Library, quit Mail, restarted, and tried to start Mail. The same dialog box came up, and both buttons are still disabled. I tried Cmd-Opt-W (and Cmd-Opt-Shft-W) and the dialog box did not close. I can't see how to make this dialog box go away. Could it be that Mail is still actually doing a Mail Upgrade (about 36 hours and counting...)? My Mail folder size is a bit north of 6 Gb. My Mail folder has a V2 and a V4 folder inside (among others of course).

Nov 18, 2017 2:12 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 2:31 PM in response to William Day In response to William Day

From system library - caches folder

From user library - caches and cookies folder

Drag and drop these two folders on the desktop , restart the machine then configure the mail account , and uninstall the avast anti virus , also Mac is not compatible for third party apps , any cleaners they will give only problems in the system . Make sure no apps apart from original default applications are there .

Nov 18, 2017 2:31 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 4:11 PM in response to tygb In response to tygb

On my base user account (not the new one), I moved System Lib/Caches to Desktop. I restarted into my base account and the Mail dialog was still there. I have all sorts of apps on my machine, BBEdit, Transmit, Photoshop, Google Earth, PDF editors, other graphic apps, various genealogy apps, games, etc, etc, etc. I am willing to uninstall all of them to get this fixed, but I am looking at probably a full day of work to uninstall and reinstall. How is whether these apps are present or not going to impact the basic issue of how to make this Mail dialog go away so I can see if when I start Mail without that dialog being present, it will re-appear or a new, correct Mail upgrade will occur? I am not trying to be combative here, I am trying to understand where you are trying to lead me and why; I hope you can accept this reply in that light. You have not answered me on what I must do to make that dialog go away, I don't think. Perhaps what you are suggesting is what is needed, but I fail to see how. I was a Mac programmer for a Fortune-500 company for 20 years (but I have been retired for over a decade), and I understand the basic impulse to get all non-standard apps out of the way, but I don't see how doing so is going to change whatever I need to do to make this dialog go away. I would GREATLY appreciate a bit of explanation here. Where are we going, and how are you expecting we will get there? I am doing my best to try to feed you everything I think could be relevant, and I am working on this problem in between our posts, as I think you can see. I very much want your help, and I very much want to get this fixed, but I need to believe in the approach we are taking. Can you please satisfy my curiosity on what our path is here?

Thx,

Bill

Nov 18, 2017 4:11 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 7:01 PM in response to William Day In response to William Day

The folder in system library - Caches , and in user library - Caches and Cookies are corrupted .

Safari has inbuilt property to recreate them again .

I am an average Mac user purchased my first Mac three years back and no computer background says spinning beach ball of death ( SBBOD ) can occur if third party apps probably downloaded from App Store or from the internet .

Have you changed any read and write permissions for the home folder or mail folder in the user library or any .

Nov 18, 2017 7:01 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: William Day

Question: After High Sierra upgrade, Mail not working