Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: apple/lg 5K monitor USB-C Ports

Hello,

I am having aproblem with my LG/Apple sold 27" 5K monitor. The monitor works fine, the question I am having is with the ports on the back. I have a Lacie Thunderbolt 4TB hard drive that I tired to connect with the Apple Thunderbolt to USB-C cable. I get message saying cannot connect and to connect to Thunderbolt port. So I now have three ports on back of monitor that I cannot use for my hard drives. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks, Bill

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.1

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 18, 2017 9:20 PM in response to Police340 In response to Police340

The ports on the back of the display are USB-C but not Thunderbolt.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKN62/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

"Ports: One Thunderbolt 3 (input), three USB-C (USB 3.1 gen 1, 5Gbps)"

What model Lacie drive do you have? The Thunderbolt-3 versions also have a USB-C port that will work with the ports on the back of he display (if you don't use a Thunderbolt only cable).

If it's a Thunderbolt-3 drive with two Thunderbolt-3 ports, you can connect one port to the computer and plug the display into the other port.

Nov 18, 2017 9:20 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 9:33 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield In response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you Malcolm. I have the older Thunderbolt 4TB Lacie Rugged Drive. I was using the Apple Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter. And it does not work. I love my drives and dont feel like replacing them at 350. a pop. It does work with USB 3.0 micro and power plugged in on drive. I just figured it should have worked with the adapter and no power.

Nov 18, 2017 9:33 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Police340

Question: apple/lg 5K monitor USB-C Ports