Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

high sierra problem create new user

10.13.1 (was on 10.13.2 beta) 2014 Macbook Air

Trying to create a new user (admin or standard priv) from an account with admin priv. Did this many times in the past without problem but now it doesn't work.

- After going through the menu to create account (accountname, password, admin/standard priv) without error. Account is not created. Not available at login window

- A group is created in the form of accountname's Public Folder. Only membership set is the group Everyone. Deleting this group (select group, click '-') a popup menu as if you are sure and will delete permanently. Click ok and nothing happens. The group remains.

- A folder with accountname is created under /Users. I can remove this folder

Tried safe mode with no difference.

Now I just have several new groups created in this process that can't be deleted.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 9:02 AM

14 replies

Nov 18, 2017 9:21 AM in response to howardc6464

Created a new user account " test 1 " in users and groups by clicking on plus sign filling up the credentials and clicked on create user .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Click on minus sign , selected the box of delete the home folder and click on delete user .

User uploaded file

Clicked on groups .

User uploaded file

A window appeared .

User uploaded file

Again clicked on minus sign .

User uploaded file

Clicked on ok , the test public folder and test 1 folder is also deleted .

And only left is the original admin account .

User uploaded file

If you have created multiple accounts can delete them with this procedure .

Nov 18, 2017 11:38 AM in response to howardc6464

The

useraccount named ”root” is a superuser with read and write privileges to more areas of the system, including files in other macOS useraccounts. The root user is disabled by default.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012

You can enable this user “root” using your existing account which I’m assuming is a admin account and you have access to.

Reason being, I would like to test and see if the root User would work and if so, we might shine some light knowing better if a glitch exists and where.

I don’t wish to assume you have one and where this might be.

Nov 18, 2017 9:26 AM in response to howardc6464

Hi,

this sounds very tricky to isolate.

A little more work needs to be done to distinguish where the fault might be.

Do you know how to enable the “Root User”?

Search in spotlight for “Directory Utility”

Once opened, Click on the lock icon to unlock it, and then enter the administrator name and password.

Under edit click Enable Root User.

Enter in a root password in the Password field and Verify fields.

Log out of the Current User and log back in “Other”

See if you can create a User as you wish or delete a unwanted one.

To disable the rout User just open directory utility and back to edit menu.

Cheers

Nov 18, 2017 10:42 AM in response to iLogger

yes, familar with Directory Utility, need to do it everytime I do su and need to setup a password.

You lost me on "Log out of the Current User and log back in “Other”" Only other accounts I have has Standard privilege (can’t be set to admin privileges via checkbox) and guest.

Could you describe why you are suggesting to turn on root user?

Thanks

Nov 18, 2017 11:36 AM in response to howardc6464

An interesting update. I went into terminal as super user to list and delete groups. Here is what I find

- The 6 zombie groups I have are named 1 2 3 4 5 6 (I had 5 zombie groups and saw 1 2 3 4 5. Tried to create another account and got the 6th zombie group) Listing groups in terminal is dscl . -list /Groups

- Used dscl . -delete /Groups/# where # is 1 2 3 4 5 6. All zombie groups are removed now. Unfortunately, they still show up with various names in the form of "account name's Public Folder" in the Users & Groups preferences pane

Chatting with Apple senior support now. We'll see where this goes

Nov 18, 2017 11:57 AM in response to iLogger

Got it. Make sense. Will try that after getting off chat with Apple senior support. Capturing system data for them to send to engineering.

Using dscl on terminal did clean up the zombie groups and removed them from preferences pane (disappeared after awhile). I'll probably trying using dscl to create new users as well to see if thats more successful.

Nov 18, 2017 12:47 PM in response to iLogger

ok, never know about the hidden root login (other than in terminal). Test it out and got some interesting results

root can create an account just fine using Users & Groups pane. It does create a group in the form of "username's Public Folder" This is different from past accounts I've created. Perhaps its new in High Sierra?

root does not allow me to delete accounts or groups. Even the one it just created.

my normal account (with admin privilege) can't do any of this using Users & Groups preference pane. However, using dscl in terminal under my account allows me to do the following

- delete the zombie groups

- create a user using the command "dscl . -create /Users/username UserShell /bin/bash" and delete the account usig "dscl . -delete /Users/username"

But the account creation is partial from the OSX perspective. Seems to be just the UNIX portion. Users & Groups preference pane shows new account (with a slight delay, presumably UI sync) but without any names. Permission set to Standard and Home Folder under /Users is not created.

Seems like the UI is confused and the UNIX guts is still good.

Grabbed a dump and gave it to Apple, we’ll see what they say.

Nov 21, 2017 2:16 PM in response to howardc6464

Just an update to this thread. Apple engineers have identified this failure. They've seen it multiple times.

The admin account I tried to create a new account from didn't have a password. Once I put in a password, it all worked. I did delete the new account but the newly created group (in the form of accountname's Public Folder) was not deleted. Perhaps this is part of what they have to fix as well.

I'll wait for a future release for a true fix. For the time being, I'll live with a password.

The accountname's Public Folder group that is created with each account seems to be new and correct High Sierra behavior.

high sierra problem create new user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.