Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to High-Sierra failed

I am running iMac with Sierra installed. To upgrade to High-Sierra I used Net-Update (recommended in a email from Apple). After downloading the complete Sierra, an error occured and there was no way to boot anymore.

Now, using the Option Key I get the chance to select the 'OS X Base System' which tells me that:

"mac OS could not be installed on your computer, the path /System/Installation/Packages/OSinstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged"

--> this "OS X Base System (image) of High Sierra cannot get unmounted.

** I tried to get a bootable OS X stick from Apple, to solve the problem. Unfortunately they dont have this.

** I have a complete Backup, however, without a running OS X its of no use.

Hope for help. Thank you very much.

Mission Control-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 3:10 PM

Do you have access to another computer where you can download High Sierra from the App Store using your Apple ID? Quit the installer and make a bootable USB Drive to boot the computer. You can make a bootable USB stick to install using this free program which will do all the work for you. If you have a backup of your computer, consider using Disk Utility to erase/reformat the drive before installing.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X oruse Apple’s method Create a bootable installer for OS

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2017 3:10 PM in response to gwaagg

Do you have access to another computer where you can download High Sierra from the App Store using your Apple ID? Quit the installer and make a bootable USB Drive to boot the computer. You can make a bootable USB stick to install using this free program which will do all the work for you. If you have a backup of your computer, consider using Disk Utility to erase/reformat the drive before installing.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X oruse Apple’s method Create a bootable installer for OS

Nov 22, 2017 11:29 AM in response to Eric Root

No, I have no access to another mac. that was the reason I tried to get a bootable stick via Apple-Support. But, no way. Bring-in the 24" iMac, just to get the stick there mounted, was not a good solution to me.

I installed Linux (parallel) and with a couple of tools I could repair the damaged partition.

A tiny version of macs disk-utility helped installing mac-os x from time-machine.

Now, everything is up and running including a bootable-installation-usb-stick.

Thank you very much for your help

and best regards

walt

Nov 18, 2017 8:23 AM in response to gwaagg

I have a feeling the e-mail was a scam. Do not download High Sierra from anywhere other than the App Store. Do you having a working computer now? If so, try installing High Sierra by downloading it from the App Store. Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives before trying the installation.

If your computer isn't working, boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart) and select Recovery Volume. Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Nov 18, 2017 9:06 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for the quick reply.

I did repeat the download from macOS Recovery (Internet Option). Download perfect, then blank screen.

I cant download from App-Store because this needs a running OS

All I can do (with mac) is going to macOS Recovery and limited functions there (no macOS Utilities eg !).

--> what I would need is kind of basic installer or 'macOS Utilities' but not .dmpg 🙂

Upgrade to High-Sierra failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.