Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Upgrade to High-Sierra failed

I am running iMac with Sierra installed. To upgrade to High-Sierra I used Net-Update (recommended in a email from Apple). After downloading the complete Sierra, an error occured and there was no way to boot anymore.

Now, using the Option Key I get the chance to select the 'OS X Base System' which tells me that:

"mac OS could not be installed on your computer, the path /System/Installation/Packages/OSinstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged"

--> this "OS X Base System (image) of High Sierra cannot get unmounted.

** I tried to get a bootable OS X stick from Apple, to solve the problem. Unfortunately they dont have this.

** I have a complete Backup, however, without a running OS X its of no use.

Hope for help. Thank you very much.

Mission Control-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

No, I have no access to another mac. that was the reason I tried to get a bootable stick via Apple-Support. But, no way. Bring-in the 24" iMac, just to get the stick there mounted, was not a good solution to me.

I installed Linux (parallel) and with a couple of tools I could repair the damaged partition.

A tiny version of macs disk-utility helped installing mac-os x from time-machine.

Now, everything is up and running including a bootable-installation-usb-stick.

Thank you very much for your help

and best regards

walt

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended

Nov 18, 2017 3:10 PM in response to gwaagg In response to gwaagg

Do you have access to another computer where you can download High Sierra from the App Store using your Apple ID? Quit the installer and make a bootable USB Drive to boot the computer. You can make a bootable USB stick to install using this free program which will do all the work for you. If you have a backup of your computer, consider using Disk Utility to erase/reformat the drive before installing.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X oruse Apple’s method Create a bootable installer for OS

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Nov 18, 2017 8:23 AM in response to gwaagg In response to gwaagg

I have a feeling the e-mail was a scam. Do not download High Sierra from anywhere other than the App Store. Do you having a working computer now? If so, try installing High Sierra by downloading it from the App Store. Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives before trying the installation.

If your computer isn't working, boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart) and select Recovery Volume. Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Nov 18, 2017 8:23 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 9:06 AM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Thank you for the quick reply.

I did repeat the download from macOS Recovery (Internet Option). Download perfect, then blank screen.

I cant download from App-Store because this needs a running OS

All I can do (with mac) is going to macOS Recovery and limited functions there (no macOS Utilities eg !).

--> what I would need is kind of basic installer or 'macOS Utilities' but not .dmpg 🙂

Nov 18, 2017 9:06 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 9:59 AM in response to gwaagg In response to gwaagg

Correct, I couldn t install it anywhere. After downloading the system, the system went blank with Apple-logo and nothing happened (for hours). Somehow it looks for an installer app.

Nov 18, 2017 9:59 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Apple Recommended

Nov 18, 2017 3:10 PM in response to gwaagg In response to gwaagg

Do you have access to another computer where you can download High Sierra from the App Store using your Apple ID? Quit the installer and make a bootable USB Drive to boot the computer. You can make a bootable USB stick to install using this free program which will do all the work for you. If you have a backup of your computer, consider using Disk Utility to erase/reformat the drive before installing.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X oruse Apple’s method Create a bootable installer for OS

Nov 18, 2017 3:10 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Nov 22, 2017 11:29 AM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

No, I have no access to another mac. that was the reason I tried to get a bootable stick via Apple-Support. But, no way. Bring-in the 24" iMac, just to get the stick there mounted, was not a good solution to me.

I installed Linux (parallel) and with a couple of tools I could repair the damaged partition.

A tiny version of macs disk-utility helped installing mac-os x from time-machine.

Now, everything is up and running including a bootable-installation-usb-stick.

Thank you very much for your help

and best regards

walt

Nov 22, 2017 11:29 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: gwaagg

Question: Upgrade to High-Sierra failed