Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the display on my Imac failed. Can I hook it up to my new Imac and recover the data?

The display on my old Imac failed. When I try to boot up the display shows a lot of lines. I took it to the genius bar and they confirmed that it appeared to be a display problem. Can I hook it up to my new Imac and recover data?

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 12:23 PM

The iMac's internal hard disk drive will appear to a new one just like any external hard disk drive, in that you will need to navigate to each Users folder to extract their contents.

Presumably you ought to be able to use Startup Manager: How to choose a startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support. I haven't verified that recently but try it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2017 12:23 PM in response to atlas5656

The iMac's internal hard disk drive will appear to a new one just like any external hard disk drive, in that you will need to navigate to each Users folder to extract their contents.

Presumably you ought to be able to use Startup Manager: How to choose a startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support. I haven't verified that recently but try it.

the display on my Imac failed. Can I hook it up to my new Imac and recover the data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.