Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which is best virus scan App ?

Suggest me with good virus scan app please

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 10:04 AM

26 replies

Nov 18, 2017 11:15 AM in response to seventy one

Here's the transcript of your chat with Apple Support:

Saturday, Nov 18, 2017 10:03 PMDuration 20 minutes 53 seconds

Matt

Thanks for contacting Apple Support. My name is Matt. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Kunhu Anjillath

Hi

Matt

Thank you for your patience. May I have you describe the issue that you are having please?

Kunhu Anjillath

I was experiencing data loss and battery dried out .. and I have contacted my service provider; they advised me that there is an App in my phone called Amazon aws

Kunhu Anjillath

But I couldn’t find that app or I am sure I didn’t download anything like that

Kunhu Anjillath

I worried if any back end virus or something which drieng out my data

Kunhu Anjillath

Can u please help

Matt

This is definitely not expected behavior for your product, and certainly not the experience we want for you. I’d like to start by asking you a few questions to help further isolate the root cause of the issue.

Matt

Have you tried scanning your phone with any antivirus software?

Kunhu Anjillath

No

Matt

We would suggest starting there.

Matt

There are a variety of security companies that provide antivirus software in the App Store

Kunhu Anjillath

Ok

Matt

Either that or you may Erase All Content & Settings on the phone and reset it to factory defaults.

Kunhu Anjillath

Can u find out is there any app in my devise backend called Amazon aws

Kunhu Anjillath

To make sure

Kunhu Anjillath

I am backing up my data to cloud so worried it may come again

Matt

In regards to determining what apps are on your device, you may look through all of the apps on your homescreen.

Matt

When you do that, also be sure to check the folders on your homescreen.

Matt

A last option would be to search for the Amazon app in the App Store.

Kunhu Anjillath

I have checked I couldn’t find any app called amazon aws

Matt

I understand.

Matt

Besides doing that, we do not have another way to check your phone as that would bring up privacy concerns to our customers.

Matt

If you would like, we could try screen sharing and look through the phone with you.

Matt

However, in order to screen share, we would require that you speak with us via a phone call rather than through chat.

Kunhu Anjillath

Ok

Kunhu Anjillath

I have checked battery usage .. there I couldn’t find this app as well

Kunhu Anjillath

I don’t know how service provider find out which app is using more data

Matt

Also, based on checking the App Store, the Amazon AWS app is a developer app that is in the App store under "AWS"

Kunhu Anjillath

But what’s the relation to my devise as I didn’t download it

Matt

Not quite sure. As it is a development kit for making other apps, it is possible that maybe a different app that you have on the phone relies on it.

Kunhu Anjillath

That’s makes sense

Matt

Again, in order to protect your security, we suggest first scanning the device for viruses. Then if you prefer, you may restore the phone to defaults.

Kunhu Anjillath

Ok can u please suggest any goos virus scanning app please

Kunhu Anjillath

Good*

Matt

Unfortunately we cannot show any bias towards any particular companies as we try to be fair. With that said, we would suggest either looking at the reviews for the app or you may check the iPhone community to see what other users like yourself prefer. https://discussions.apple.com/community/iphone

Kunhu Anjillath

Ok thank you ..

Kunhu Anjillath

Have a great day

Matt

Do you agree that I have answered all of your questions to try and get you started on your path to a resolution?

Kunhu Anjillath

Yes

Kunhu Anjillath

Thank you

Matt

It was a pleasure working with you today! Always know that you can reach out to us at anytime for questions or support! You can end this chat when you are ready, or just tell me to end it. Thank you for contacting Apple Support!

Nov 18, 2017 11:34 AM in response to Kunhuz

Let's go back to your network provider and their finding of you having Amazon AWS. Did they scan your iPhone? How did they discover this?

Amazon AWS is not an app it is Amazon Web Services (yes, it is redundant). Apple contracts with Amazon AWS for data services and your network provider probably saw that you had an domain that you had been to that indicated you had been to one of their sites.

Yes, I have seen transcripts of first line Apple support personnel suggesting scanning an iPhone for malware/spyware/viruses and heard phone recordings of the same.

You do not need to scan, in this case both the network person you talked to and the Apple support technician gave you bad advice. If you are having extreme battery drain use your phone for 24 to 48 hours then go to Settings > Battery and see which apps are consuming your battery.

If you are using a work email address, particularly Exchange, this can also drain your battery if there is a problem with the authentication server. If that shows as having high use contact the Exchange administrator at your work and have them check if from their end. This issue could also reveal an Amazon AWS entry as many businesses use them.

Nov 18, 2017 12:07 PM in response to deggie

My complaint to network provider was about the internet data issue . Data was consuming more compared to previous months. So they have checked with their system over the phone and said Amazon AWS app is consuming more data. So I thought battery also due to same issue . Thanks for your suggestions about battery dried out issue ..

Nov 18, 2017 12:15 PM in response to Kunhuz

As I said, there is no Amazon AWS app. They are looking at the site that is consuming more of your data. There is nothing suspicious in their finding.

Do you have automatic updates turned on? If you do not charge your iPhone and night and have autoupdates on it will use your cellular data at night to update apps that are < 150MB in size. Since there is lots of updating going on right now that could increase your data usage.

Nov 18, 2017 2:34 PM in response to Kunhuz

Kunhuz,

Can I just step back into the thread for a moment. I really feel an apology is due for the questioning line and the doubt expressed in my posts to you. Deggie has shown there is much truth behind what you said - and my compliments to him too, for his approach. He could have criticised some of what preceded him, but he didn't. Thank you, Deggie.

Which is best virus scan App ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.