Question: Iphone carrier data issues after switching cellular phone providers
I found that some phone service provider (H2O wireless in this case) who require installation of a configuration file that installs an APN profile, makes it impossible to get data when switching to a new phone service provider.
I did the following on switching to new provider, text and voice already working:
- Installed new phone providers sim card
- Deleted previous providers configuration in Settings> General . Confirmed no profiles listed
- Settings > general > reset Network settings. Then reboot. Still no success getting data with new provider
- Only get data when I wipe out iphone and setup as new. But lose data when I restore my backup (backup made after previous profile was deleted)
- Last desperate resort: tried the unlockit.co.nz website, but receive an error "Only one APN configuration can be installed at a time". I see this eror even after removing the new providers sim card, reseting Network again and rebooting, then rerunning unlockit with no sim card installed
My conclusion: some phone service providers that require installation of a configuration profile leave a hidden profile even when their configuration is deleted, and it appears the only way to get rid of it is to wipe out the phone and start as new. (Very undesirable and cumbersome option, I have so much stuff in my phone and this will be a major pain)
Anybody see a better way to deal with this problem?
iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1