Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Iphone carrier data issues after switching cellular phone providers

I found that some phone service provider (H2O wireless in this case) who require installation of a configuration file that installs an APN profile, makes it impossible to get data when switching to a new phone service provider.

I did the following on switching to new provider, text and voice already working:

- Installed new phone providers sim card

- Deleted previous providers configuration in Settings> General . Confirmed no profiles listed

- Settings > general > reset Network settings. Then reboot. Still no success getting data with new provider

- Only get data when I wipe out iphone and setup as new. But lose data when I restore my backup (backup made after previous profile was deleted)

- Last desperate resort: tried the unlockit.co.nz website, but receive an error "Only one APN configuration can be installed at a time". I see this eror even after removing the new providers sim card, reseting Network again and rebooting, then rerunning unlockit with no sim card installed

My conclusion: some phone service providers that require installation of a configuration profile leave a hidden profile even when their configuration is deleted, and it appears the only way to get rid of it is to wipe out the phone and start as new. (Very undesirable and cumbersome option, I have so much stuff in my phone and this will be a major pain)

Anybody see a better way to deal with this problem?

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 1:10 PM in response to Obinuchi In response to Obinuchi

It is true that carriers can leave APN settings but they normally can be removed manually by deleting a Profile. There are some cases where it can be more complicated.

Major carriers will usually push the correct profile on request but on some MVNOs you have to do it yourself by editing the APN.

You could check in Field Test Mode what APN settings you have.

Dial *3001#12345#* and tab on PDP Context Info and tab on "0".

http://thecellguide.com/apn-settings-for-all-us-cellphone-carriers

Instead of a restore, you could do Update and reinstall your apps and data manually if all else fails as you have indicated.

Nov 19, 2017 3:22 AM in response to Obinuchi In response to Obinuchi

If you talk to AT&T you will need to escalate to advanced support as this is not the type of issue tier1 customer support is able to deal with.

It is likely you will get a solution in this way. If not, depending on the history of the phone, AT&T might be willing to have the activation policy modified for you which would solve the problem if that is necessary to provide a permanent solution.

From what you are saying the issue is not related to having the latest software version but rather having the APN reset with the old values which you need changed.

What I was suggesting is instead of using the restore option in iTunes do go with the Update option which will have the effect of doing a device firmware update (DFU). That will allow you to set the phone up as "New" and once your carrier profile is set the chances are the correct APN configuration will be pushed to the phone. Of course, you would have to manually restore data which is a chore.

That is item 4 in the link.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Nov 18, 2017 11:21 AM in response to ProustGiulio In response to ProustGiulio

Unfortunately both my new carrier and old carrier technical support were unable to provide a solution after about 4.5hrs on the phone between yesterday. Also the staff at a local AT&T shop were unable to help, both carriers are refering me back to the other!

Nov 18, 2017 11:21 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 1:10 PM in response to Obinuchi In response to Obinuchi

It is true that carriers can leave APN settings but they normally can be removed manually by deleting a Profile. There are some cases where it can be more complicated.

Major carriers will usually push the correct profile on request but on some MVNOs you have to do it yourself by editing the APN.

You could check in Field Test Mode what APN settings you have.

Dial *3001#12345#* and tab on PDP Context Info and tab on "0".

http://thecellguide.com/apn-settings-for-all-us-cellphone-carriers

Instead of a restore, you could do Update and reinstall your apps and data manually if all else fails as you have indicated.

Nov 18, 2017 1:10 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 18, 2017 1:10 PM in response to madra31 In response to madra31

Thanks Madra, Dialing *3001#12345#* provided some interesting info. In PDP Context Info and tab on "0":

APN Prodata

IPv4 0.0.0.0

Searching the internet suggests that an APN settting of "PRODATA" is linked to H2O, it appears that somehow the AT&T APN setting is not getting set?? I want to call AT&T support again to see if this makes sense to them.

Nov 18, 2017 1:10 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2017 3:22 AM in response to Obinuchi In response to Obinuchi

If you talk to AT&T you will need to escalate to advanced support as this is not the type of issue tier1 customer support is able to deal with.

It is likely you will get a solution in this way. If not, depending on the history of the phone, AT&T might be willing to have the activation policy modified for you which would solve the problem if that is necessary to provide a permanent solution.

From what you are saying the issue is not related to having the latest software version but rather having the APN reset with the old values which you need changed.

What I was suggesting is instead of using the restore option in iTunes do go with the Update option which will have the effect of doing a device firmware update (DFU). That will allow you to set the phone up as "New" and once your carrier profile is set the chances are the correct APN configuration will be pushed to the phone. Of course, you would have to manually restore data which is a chore.

That is item 4 in the link.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

Nov 19, 2017 3:22 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 22, 2017 4:00 PM in response to madra31 In response to madra31

Thanks for the useful insights. I spent a few more hours with the advanced technical support in both At&T and Apple.

I have been told that it is not possible to change this APN settings without factory reseting my iphone. The menu item whcich should appear uner "cellular" that allows this is not available. In addition I would have to lose my text message history!!!! because if I backed up and restored a backup on icloud it will also backup my other settings which cause this problem, I have been told that the APN setup files I installed from H2O must have propagated through my phone.

I almost considered the unthinkable - switching to an Android phone and using their "smartswitch" utility to transfer all my text history during the switch - it appears that with the Android I would have ready access to the APN settings.

In case Apple support reads this communication, I wish they would provide a way to backup text message history independent of other phone settings in case the user does not have the option to restore the iphone settings due to curruption issues

I finally factory gave in and wiped out my phone, lost all my iphone text message history 😟, the APN is now correctly set. The only bright side is that Whattsapp App pleasantly surprised me by restoring my Whatsapp text history from the icloud! Great job Whatsapp!

I will probably spend the next 2 weeks or so getting my phone as close to its original state as possible

Thanks for your inputs, really appreciated

Nov 22, 2017 4:00 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Obinuchi

Question: Iphone carrier data issues after switching cellular phone providers