Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Will Not Unlock iMac

Try as I might, I have been unable to unlock my 27" late 2016 iMac running macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.1 with my 2015 original Apple Watch running watchOS 4.1. I was able to get it to unlock for a short while earlier this year, but not for many months. It's turned on in settings, both devices are on the same WiFi network, Bluetooth is enabled on the iMac, and all my devices use two-factor authentication. But all my iMac ever offers me to open it is a typed in password.

Can anyone help?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 11:23 AM

1 reply

Nov 19, 2017 12:50 PM in response to Fred Thorne

Hey, Fred!

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you are having trouble using your Apple Watch to unlock your late 2016 iMac. The only unlock option you see is to type in your account password. I'm happy to help!

I would recommend starting by reviewing the following article, and making sure all the settings relating to unlocking your iMac with your Apple Watch are accurate. If they are and you continue to have trouble, I would suggest the following:
  1. Restart your Apple Watch (How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support) and your iMac (by click the Apple  menu and selecting "Restart..." from the drop down). Test to see if the unlock option works. If not, move on to the following step.
  2. Unpair, then repair, your Apple Watch: Unpair your Apple Watch and iPhone - Apple Support.
  3. Test in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to have trouble, don't hesitate to reply back.

Cheers!

Apple Watch Will Not Unlock iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.