Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you make two folders stay open at the same time?

I cannot open the Downloads Folder and my Storage Folder at the same time to move downloads from one folder to the other. I have to place the downloaded items on the desktop and then open my Storage Folder to put the items in it. I don't remember this to have been a problem before. Does anyone have a solution to offer for this?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 12:10 PM

6 replies

Nov 18, 2017 1:41 PM in response to johnbear1952

You can double-click the Downloads folder to open it in a Finder window. Select the items to move, and then just drag and drop them onto your Storage folder.

If you feel more comfortable with both folders open, then double-click on your Downloads folder, and then launch another Finder window, in which you double-click the Storage folder to open it. Moving the files between folders is the same as paragraph 1.

Nov 18, 2017 2:02 PM in response to VikingOSX

I have tried that. When I open the Storage Folder the Downloads Folder vanishes. If I move anything from one folder to the other the same thing happens. Really irritating. I do not remember this happening prior to my updating to High Sierra 13.1.

I have checked my drive and macOS and all seems to be fine. Yesterday I decided my system might be corrupted somehow and reinstalled it but the problem...if it is a problem persists.

Nov 18, 2017 2:15 PM in response to johnbear1952

In Finder Preferences : General panel, set the New Finder windows show: to your login name with the house icon. Set your FInder view to icon view.

Find your Downloads folder in your home directory. Double-click it. Find the Storage folder, and double-click it. Now you have two open Finder windows. Drag and drop as appropriate between them.

Nov 18, 2017 4:14 PM in response to VikingOSX

You are going to think that I am incredibly stupid...but your suggestion did not fix the problem. If I open the downloads folder or any another folder for that matter, in the Finder, and try to open another folder, the 1st folder vanishes. The only way that I can move anything from one folder to the other is to place the item on the desktop and then place it in the other folder. Nothing else works.

Nov 18, 2017 5:09 PM in response to db24401

I'm just going to live with the problem. My windows are small and do not cover one with the other. When one opens the other just simply disappears, as if it were never opened. I wish that there were some way that I could show you folks but I'm not sure how I could do that. I suppose that I could make a video of it...if anyone is interested.

How do you make two folders stay open at the same time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.