Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images taken as HEIF present as JPG in Image Capture

Brand new iPhone X,

Camera set to HEIF for photos, yet connecting to my Mac and using Image Capture to transfer shows them all as JPGs. (no matter what transfer setting in Photos>Settings) Yes, I'm on High Sierra.

Plugging the iPhone into a Windows computer confirms they are all HEIF format images.

How do I use my Mac to get HEIF images off my iPhone? My old workflow included Image Capture on the Mac, but that seems broken. Did Apple abandon it?

Any help appreciated!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 12:44 PM

9 replies

Nov 18, 2017 3:02 PM in response to LACAllen

I'll bet I could use iCloud photos or whatever as well, but the thing is I don't want to massively change my workflow.

I just want to copy files from my new iPhone to my Computer using a USB cable.

"Change your photo management software", while it may or may not fix the problem is much more than I'm willing to do. Have you used Photos with a NAS? I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork.

If the Mac can't copy HEIF photos to my Mac then so be it. I just thought I was missing something easy.

Your suggestion, while appreciated, is a massive undertaking for my 2.8 TB of photo library.

Nov 18, 2017 3:10 PM in response to WestVanPete

I just thought I was missing something easy.

Something my very simple, low effort troubleshooting suggestion would have helped you identify.

"Change your photo management software",

Nowhere have I suggested you change anything. You are not quoting me.

I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork.

Again... I am reluctant to help those who don't want answers that contradict what they want to hear. This is not Reddit.

Have you used Photos with a NAS?

So, unless I fit this category, my suggestions are invalid?

Your suggestion, while appreciated,

Uh-huh.

Images taken as HEIF present as JPG in Image Capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.