Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 12.1.1.14 opens and starts playing on its own

Mac OS 10.11.6. Just started no idea why VERY irritating. Help PLEASE

iTunes 12.7.1.14-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), MacMini (late 2014)

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 1:20 PM

2 replies

Nov 20, 2017 7:56 PM in response to dalgleishj72

Hi, dalgleishj72,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand you are noticing iTunes opening on its own, and even will start playing music. I'm happy to help!

First, check to see if iTunes is set as a login item. Login items will automatically open when you log into your user account: macOS Sierra: Open items automatically when you log in .

If you do not have iTunes set as a login item, I would next recommend going to the iTunes app and quitting it. You can do this by pressing Command+Q, or clicking iTunes > Quit iTunes from the menu bar (while in the iTunes app). Then, open the app while holding the Shift key on your keyboard. Quit iTunes again and see if the issue continues.

If so, restart your Mac by clicking the Apple  menu > Restart.... Once back on, use your Mac as normal and see if iTunes continues to open. I would also suggest making sure you're not accidentally hitting the Play button on your keyboard. If you are, this will activate iTunes, and begin playing. This is something I have personally run into, and I found reasigning the Function keys solved that issue for me; I just changed the Play button to not do anything unless I pressed the Fn key along with it: Change the behavior of function keys on your Mac - Apple Support .

Have a great day!

Itunes 12.1.1.14 opens and starts playing on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.