Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my font is installed but MS Word for Mac doesn't see it

I downloaded a new font and installed it into Font Book. But when I look for it in MS Word it isn't there. I thought newly installed fonts were automatically included in all apps.

OS is High Sierra 10.13.1

Font Book is version 8.0

Word is 14.7.3

I've installed fonts previously with no problems, but not since I upgraded to the latest OS. Is there a system problem or am I missing a step?

Thanks

Mike

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 7:29 AM

Were the Office apps already running when you added the fonts? If so, that's why you don't see them. Office apps must be closed and launched again in order for them to see newly activated fonts. Office has always been like this, and Office 2016 is no different.

5 replies

Nov 19, 2017 7:12 AM in response to mike70122

You must make that newly added font active in Font Book.

With High Sierra, update your Office 2011 for Mac to 14.7.8 for Sierra compatibility. Although it will likely work with High Sierra, Microsoft discourages its usage. Once you have updated Office, then reboot. If the font is compatible with High Sierra, it should then show up in Word.

Nov 19, 2017 7:15 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks this was very helpful and makes sense, but it did not resolve my problem. I tried upgrading my Office 2011, but the latest upgrade only takes it to 14.7.8, plus Microsoft no longer supports the 2011 version. I followed the other steps you suggested but no luck. I'm thinking I'll just to buy the new version of MS Office 2016 to get full compatibility. Lots of fonts backed up -- downloaded but I can't install them! Hopefully the 2016 version will clear up the problem.

Nov 19, 2017 9:13 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt, this worked -- at least about 80%, which is good. I had downloaded about ten fonts that I wanted. When I followed you advice and closed out MS Office apps first I was able to install eight of the ten. The other two...who knows? They show up fine in Font Book, but are MIA when I open Word. I'm not going to worry about that, but it is odd.

thanks

Mike

Nov 19, 2017 11:41 AM in response to mike70122

The other two fonts probably have issues. The most common one when they won't show up is that they conflict with other active fonts on the system. The other main reason is that Font Book simply isn't a very good font manager. A font conflict is just one of a fair number of things that will corrupt its database. When that happens, it does things like what you see. Such as, the fonts show as available in Font Book, but you can't see them in your apps. Or, you can't add, remove, disable, or enable fonts in Font Book's interface. The only fix when it starts doing that is to reset FB's database.

my font is installed but MS Word for Mac doesn't see it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.