Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player.

Hi all, I transferred my photos and movies from my iPhone 7 to my Mac (Sierra 10.12.6) and have tried to watch them using Quicktime Version 10.4 (894.12). Movies taken after 6th October get the following error "The document “IMG_7239.MOV” could not be opened. The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player." Movies taken on the 4th October work fine. I have not changed any settings and would like to know if there is something I can do.

Thanks,

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 5:39 AM

I transferred my photos and movies from my iPhone 7 to my Mac (Sierra 10.12.6) and have tried to watch them using Quicktime Version 10.4 (894.12). Movies taken after 6th October get the following error "The document “IMG_7239.MOV” could not be opened. The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player." Movies taken on the 4th October work fine. I have not changed any settings and would like to know if there is something I can do.

A particular solution would depend on the specific nature of your problem. To determine the former would require more information or a sample file for examination. For instance...

1. Do the files play using other media players like VLC?
  2. If so, what video compression format was used to create the QTX v10.4 non-playing files?
  3. If H.265 (HEVC), then reset your iPhone 7 IOS Camera settings to transfer files as H.264 content or update your Sierra system to High Sierra which includes QTX HEVC playback support.
  4. If H.264 (AVC), try copying the data from your original file to a new MOV file container. If the resulting files then play in QTX, your original files may be triggering some sort of security trap indicating a possible issue in your transfer workflow.
  5. If the H.264 files still won't open or play, then begin testing for possible file corruption/conflict/atom issues.
  6. If original files won't open in third-party apps like VLC, then then the most common problem is file corruption during recording, editing on the iPhone 7, or transfer of files to the Mac requiring evaluation of hardware and workflow used.

Please ensure the problem is completely consistent with regard to recording dates. Intermittent issues could indicate other types of problems based on error trapping of recording settings which can vary dependent on lighting, graphic complexity of the recording, averaged vs. instantaneous file stats, etc. While less common, such issues can crop up at times and usually require a comparison of actual file stats against the published standards on which the QTX app performs error trapping.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2017 5:39 AM in response to lukenjess

I transferred my photos and movies from my iPhone 7 to my Mac (Sierra 10.12.6) and have tried to watch them using Quicktime Version 10.4 (894.12). Movies taken after 6th October get the following error "The document “IMG_7239.MOV” could not be opened. The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player." Movies taken on the 4th October work fine. I have not changed any settings and would like to know if there is something I can do.

A particular solution would depend on the specific nature of your problem. To determine the former would require more information or a sample file for examination. For instance...

1. Do the files play using other media players like VLC?
  2. If so, what video compression format was used to create the QTX v10.4 non-playing files?
  3. If H.265 (HEVC), then reset your iPhone 7 IOS Camera settings to transfer files as H.264 content or update your Sierra system to High Sierra which includes QTX HEVC playback support.
  4. If H.264 (AVC), try copying the data from your original file to a new MOV file container. If the resulting files then play in QTX, your original files may be triggering some sort of security trap indicating a possible issue in your transfer workflow.
  5. If the H.264 files still won't open or play, then begin testing for possible file corruption/conflict/atom issues.
  6. If original files won't open in third-party apps like VLC, then then the most common problem is file corruption during recording, editing on the iPhone 7, or transfer of files to the Mac requiring evaluation of hardware and workflow used.

Please ensure the problem is completely consistent with regard to recording dates. Intermittent issues could indicate other types of problems based on error trapping of recording settings which can vary dependent on lighting, graphic complexity of the recording, averaged vs. instantaneous file stats, etc. While less common, such issues can crop up at times and usually require a comparison of actual file stats against the published standards on which the QTX app performs error trapping.

User uploaded file

Dec 11, 2017 10:05 AM in response to lukenjess

Had the same problem. Figured it out (or at least a passable fix for my purposes) I think it’s an issue with the new IOS. When you go to iCloud.com and select videos to download, click the tiny arrow under the download button and it allows you to “download unmodified original” or to download “compatible version”. Change the radio button to the “download compatible version” selection and then click download. The files should now all work once downloaded.

The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.