Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit shows incomplete file?

Recently TextEdit has not been displaying the entire length of an RTF text file. It's a pretty long file, and I can only scroll through maybe the first half or so. It is as if the second half of the file was deleted. This is still true if I open an earlier version of the file from TimeMachine. However, if I open the file (or a copy of it) using Pages, the entire file is there (I'm not saving over the file from Pages, though). I fairly recently upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.1, but this problem began more recently than that upgrade. I'm on a new iMac with nice specs.

It appears that TextEdit is suddenly only able to access the first half of the file, though the file itself is still complete.

Any idea what is going on?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 11:13 AM

I experience the same problem.

Upon testing, I found a workaround until I can pinpoint the cause.

Move the mouse pointer to the right edge of the window where the scrollbar usually appears.

The pointer will change into a double headed arrow.

Drag it inward or outward to adjust the width of the window.

The scrollbar should snap up making the page scrollable.

You may have to repeat this few times to go to the bottom/end of the page.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2017 11:13 AM in response to christianfrommd

I experience the same problem.

Upon testing, I found a workaround until I can pinpoint the cause.

Move the mouse pointer to the right edge of the window where the scrollbar usually appears.

The pointer will change into a double headed arrow.

Drag it inward or outward to adjust the width of the window.

The scrollbar should snap up making the page scrollable.

You may have to repeat this few times to go to the bottom/end of the page.

Jan 18, 2018 2:42 AM in response to L422y

Click with the mouse IN the scrollbar BELOW the dark, highlighted position marker.

The marker will then adjust its size and the file can be scrolled down further. Repeat clicking near the bottom of the scrollbar to move to the end.

Once you reached the end of the file, the scrollbar's dark position indicator stays this size and you can scroll the whole file.

TextEdit shows incomplete file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.