Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Roaming Network Setup

Hi all,

I just changed from a wireless extended network to a roaming network. My internet comes into my basement where I have the cable modem going into my Airport extreme, which then goes into a 24 port switch. From there the signal is then sent thru Cat5e cables to the rest of the house. I have an an airport extreme in my kitchen (1st floor) connected to the Cat5e. I have an older time capsule also connected by Cat5e in my master bedroom closet on the 3rd floor on the opposite end of the home. I get great speed in the basement where the extreme is, but both 1st floor and 3rd floor get maybe 10mbs/sec to 50mbs/sec. These rates tend to fluctuate a lot as the day goes on or as more of my family uses the internet. Below are screenshots of how the hook up was done thru airport utility 6. Not sure if I made a mistake in the set up. Any help with this would be great!!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2017 3:50 PM

Let's set up the AirPort Express first, then you will know how to set up the Time Capsule.

Move the Express close to the Extreme for the setup, and use a short, spare Ethernet cable for the setup. Connect the cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the back of the AirPort Extreme to the WAN "O" port on the back of the AirPort Express

Power up the AirPort Express and let it run a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Express for 7-8 seconds, then release and allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

User uploaded file

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station. Just below that listing, click directly on AirPort Express.

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Express, that will start up the setup "wizard". It will take few seconds for the wizard to analyze things, then display a screen that looks similar to the illustration below, except that you will see your devices pictured and the name of your wireless network displayed

User uploaded file

Type in a short, simple name that you want to call the AirPort Express

Click Next

Watch the next screen carefully to see that the AirPort Express is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This indicates that the wizard has picked up the wired Ethernet cable connection between the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express, so the correct settings for the Express will be applied automatically and correctly.

User uploaded file

When you see the message of Setup Complete appear, click Done.....and you are done. Now you know that the Express is set up correctly.

Now power off the AirPort Express and move it to the location where it will be needed and connect the Ethernet cable to the same WAN "O" port on the Express. Power up the Express. If the Ethernet switch is working correctly and the longer Ethernet cabling is working correctly, so too will the Express be working correctly.

Set up the Time Capsule exactly the same way as the Express using the same general steps that I provided above.....except give the Time Capsule a different short simple name.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2017 3:50 PM in response to gs911

Let's set up the AirPort Express first, then you will know how to set up the Time Capsule.

Move the Express close to the Extreme for the setup, and use a short, spare Ethernet cable for the setup. Connect the cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the back of the AirPort Extreme to the WAN "O" port on the back of the AirPort Express

Power up the AirPort Express and let it run a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Express for 7-8 seconds, then release and allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

User uploaded file

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station. Just below that listing, click directly on AirPort Express.

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Express, that will start up the setup "wizard". It will take few seconds for the wizard to analyze things, then display a screen that looks similar to the illustration below, except that you will see your devices pictured and the name of your wireless network displayed

User uploaded file

Type in a short, simple name that you want to call the AirPort Express

Click Next

Watch the next screen carefully to see that the AirPort Express is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This indicates that the wizard has picked up the wired Ethernet cable connection between the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express, so the correct settings for the Express will be applied automatically and correctly.

User uploaded file

When you see the message of Setup Complete appear, click Done.....and you are done. Now you know that the Express is set up correctly.

Now power off the AirPort Express and move it to the location where it will be needed and connect the Ethernet cable to the same WAN "O" port on the Express. Power up the Express. If the Ethernet switch is working correctly and the longer Ethernet cabling is working correctly, so too will the Express be working correctly.

Set up the Time Capsule exactly the same way as the Express using the same general steps that I provided above.....except give the Time Capsule a different short simple name.

Nov 19, 2017 5:40 PM in response to gs911

Setup seems ok.

We need a bit more info.

What model is the cable modem?

What models are your airports?

Are you tests on the upper floors done by ethernet plugged into the Express or TC.. can you please do that test with a laptop or something so we can separate wireless issues from network issues.

I presume your switch is gigabit model.. ??

What speed do you get if you plug a laptop straight into the ethernet cable in location where the TC or Express is?

If internet speed is poor but the link is doing gigabit as expected.. can you do a local lan test.. say copy a file to the hard disk of the TC and give me a data rate for that.

Nov 19, 2017 5:49 PM in response to gs911

I just changed from a wireless extended network to a roaming network

When you did that, did you.....

1) Reset the Kitchen AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule back to factory default settings

2) Connect the Ethernet cable from the switch to the WAN "O" port on each device

3) Set up each device separately using Apple's setup "wizard"

If you did, then the "wizard" would have automatically configured the AriPort Extreme and Time Capsule correctly.

If you did not use the "wizard", then it is possible that either the AirPort Extreme and/or Time Capsule is not configured correctly. The most common error that users make when they try to manually configure the AirPorts in a roaming network is that they leave the remote AirPorts configured to "extend a wireless network", which is not the correct setting.

Nov 19, 2017 6:56 PM in response to gs911

I did not reset back to factory settings...just changed the setting to "off bridge mode"

It takes more than that. You have to change the network mode from "extend a wireless network" (used with a wireless connection) to "create a wireless network" which must be used with a wired connection.

If you did not do this, the Airport is not configured correctly.

You need to reset both the kitchen AirPort and the Time Capsule to factory default settings, then set them up again using the setup "wizard", which is part of AirPort Utility.

Post back if you are willing to start over again and set up the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule correctly....and we'll walk you through the simple setup. The "wizard" will practically set things up correctly and automatically for you. All you need to do is name the AirPort device and wizard will take care of everything else.

Nov 19, 2017 6:55 PM in response to LaPastenague

Modem - arris TM1602

extreme - AirPort Extreme 802.11ac - A1521

time capsule - 802.11n (4th Generation) -A1409

express - 802.11n (2nd Generation) - A1392

gigabit switch

don't have a laptop with ethernet port to connect. will have to get my work laptop to do that tomorrow. will post reply then.

speed when in basement next to extreme is 250/sec without ethernet.

Nov 19, 2017 7:25 PM in response to gs911

will i lose all the backup data on the drive if i reset to default setting?

No

are there any links that you are aware of that show a step by step?

No, the wizard is so simple that Apple does not think that they need to provide step by step. The Setup Guide that comes with the AirPort tells you how to set things up. But, we'll go through this in more detail, since it looks like you have not ever used the simple automated setup.

I know you have a Time Capsule. But, I'm confused on whether you have an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme in the kitchen........" I have an an airport extreme in my kitchen".......

But, in another place you say that you have an AirPort Express....... "for the kitchen express"......

Can you clarify on that please?

Roaming Network Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.