Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon,850,Camera,Raw,updates?

Could someone let me know when we can expect digital camera raw updates for the Nikon D850. I've had mine nearly two months now and still no sign of updates from Apple or Adobe? This is just plain crazy. I've spent a fortune on this camera but have yet to be able to view the images on my iMac without converting them to DNG's!!

High Sierra 10.13.1

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 5:46 AM

15 replies

Dec 20, 2017 12:11 PM in response to JackOandHisMac

JackOandHisMac wrote:

*ALL* RAW file have jpegs embedded. 45 different Nikon cameras? Are you sure?

****, don't know if you're trying to be an *** or what, but I'll leave it with you.

Most RAW files contain a full size JPEG conversion of the image, which is used to preview the file on the camera's LCD panel.

Yes, I'm sure. I downloaded a large sampling of RAW images from various manufacturers to test.

User uploaded file

ciao

Nov 20, 2017 6:05 AM in response to Justmesuffolk

This camera was only announced in July 2017. Camera raw support will occur when Nikon gets the 850 code support to Apple, and Apple can work it into their release schedule. Apple is not going to issue a camera raw update for just one camera, but for several, each of which must be tested — not only with a forthcoming operating system release, but also with Apple applications that support that camera raw functionality.

Apple does not confide in us about future product plans, so we cannot be expected to know when either.

Dec 20, 2017 7:34 AM in response to VikingOSX

Adobe released it's support of the Nikon D850 on September 7 2017, just two months after the 'official' Nikon announcement. macOS 10.13.2 System Report, Raw Support says the the D850 RAW is supported, but it is not. Apple Camera Raw update as of December 19, 2017 says that the D850 is supported "as of 12/19/2017", but it is NOT, and there is no update in the App store. Apple has said via the two examples I provided that they are going to support the Nikon D850, they just haven't done it yet, and it's been around five months. They *have* added *other* cameras during this time, and I am sure they have the resources to add support for the D850.

Dec 20, 2017 12:35 PM in response to dialabrain

The jpegs contained in the RAW files are NOT full size, but feel free to think so. I've written a utility that will replace the embedded jpeg with a full size one, but then you probably have you own definition of "full size". Typically the embedded jpegs are replaced with a higher quality one during the RAW conversion or using some other utility (LR). The embedded jpegs are 'temporary' in nature until a 'full size' is rendered later, usually on the computer. I misunderstood you, I thought that you actually had 45 Nikon cameras that supported RAW, my mistake. As it regards Nikon, 'L' is not a RAW file 'combined' with a jpeg, just so you'll understand.

Nikon,850,Camera,Raw,updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.