Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can no longer use CAC card with High Sierra OS

I previously had no issue with my former OS (Sierra), but now that I upgraded I can no longer use my CAC card to access DOD websites. Is there fix to this? Normally I go to militarycac.com but they don't have a solution for it yet.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 9:27 AM

I'm still unable to login. My CAC card is recognized, enter my PIN, site won't load in Opera or Safari. Checked all of my certificates. Was working fine before upgrade to High Sierra. Any thoughts?

8 replies

Nov 20, 2017 4:53 PM in response to brucefromcharleston

What CAC Enabling software are you using? Did you update it after installing High Sierra?

I have found Centrify Express works best for me.

When you initially inserted your CAC, did you get offered a choice of how to use the card?

If you chose either option in the popup menu, I think it will make using it much more difficult.

I chose Do not ask again and I haven't had any problems.

In earlier versions of the OS, I had chosen one of the options and I had difficulty with some websites.

Dec 24, 2017 2:15 PM in response to brucefromcharleston

I too have a problem with my CAC Card reader no longer working on DOD websites. I have a 15" 2017 MBP that shipped with OS Sierra and the same CAC Card reader works just fine on it. In the last month I upgraded this current laptop i am using a 13" late 2013 MBP from OS Sierra to High Sierra and can no longer use this CAC reader on this laptop. The SD card reader works just fine along with various devices such as USB flash drives and mice so it is not an issue of the USB ports not recognizing the device. I use this current 13" MBP as a work/travel laptop and need to have a working CAC card reader.

CAC Card reader: SCR3310v2.0 USB Smart Card Reader

I believe this is an issue with OS Sierra.

Jan 10, 2018 4:42 PM in response to brucefromcharleston

I too am having the same issue. I use to be able to log onto many work .mil websites with my CAC reader and now none of them work. I have tried reinstalling all of the software for the reader and removing and adding all of my certificates as well and nothing works. When I go to a CAC enabled website I am promoted for my CAC PIN and it reads my card, but none of the sites load. I have tried Safari, Chrome, Fire and Opera. Also looking for some help.

Jan 10, 2018 6:33 PM in response to SAKaiser

Can you post some URLs to the sites you cannot access. I can see if I can access them. They would have to be sites that don't have specific user accounts.

If it asks for PIN and accepts it, there may be something wrong with Safari or whatever browser you are using.

Does it show any error pages, or does it just spin without loading anything?

Jan 10, 2018 6:41 PM in response to Barney-15E

I've tried all the browsers previously mentioned, and some will come up with a "page cannot be displayed" and others will simply not load. I'm not able to access any CAC enabled websites. Some of the sites I have tried are:

https://www.mol.usmc.mil/

https://www.marinenet.usmc.mil/

https://www.defensetravel.osd.mil/

https://webmail.us.usmc.mil/

This is to name a few. Unfortunately, I cannot think of a site that is CAC enabled that does not require some sort of account to access as you mentioned.

Jan 10, 2018 7:40 PM in response to SAKaiser

After a lot of hoop jumping, I was able to get into MarineNet.

I can get into the Air Force Portal and our Webmail and the AF SharePoint.

I could get to the warning page of DTS after clicking the Login button, but it wouldn't go any further. It is currently "Degraded"--like it isn't when the button is green.

I didn't try your webmail as I assume it requires an account.

I could get to the the Username/password screen of MOL.

While I thought I had Centrify Express previously loaded, my Certs weren't showing up, so I re-installed CentrifyExpress.

I could then set Identity Preferences for each site. However, it appears the card reader hangs up while trying to access. It appears the website has hung, but if I remove the card, it pops up the PIN entry dialog. I can sort of make my way into the sites by removing and re-inserting the CAC as it appears to hang.

When it hangs, I can't set an identity preference for a CAC cert. It allows me to open the dialog, but it only has my Apple certs available. I have to Remove and re-insert the CAC or restart Keychain access to create another Identity preference.

The first version of High Sierra was working much smoother. I haven't tried since that first release.

I may try some of the the CAC enabling software when I get a chance.

The AF SharePoint requires a CAC registered in the AF "Area52" domain, so while it doesn't require a specific account, it does require more than just a CAC to get in, so I can't have you try that one.

Oh, and I had to log out/log in after installing Centrify.

can no longer use CAC card with High Sierra OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.