Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot enable iTunes wifi sync

Hi,

At best of times i've found iTunes wifi sync a bit hit and miss, but since getting my iPhone X i can't make it happen at all.

The correct setting is ticked in iTunes. I've checked it/unchecked it, but when looking in the wifi sync settings on the actual iPhone it tells me to 'enable wifi syncing connect to iTunes and click sync with this iPhone over wifi', but that setting is already checked.

Anyone know how to get this working?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 10:52 AM

Did you try syncing with the cable first? If not you might want to try that. Sync with the cable. When the sync completes, select the option to sync over WiFi. Quit iTunes, restart your computer and phone and then try again. This shouldn’t matter, but it might help if the phone is plugged into the wall socket to charge as well, at least for the first time.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2017 10:52 AM in response to cos constantinou

Did you try syncing with the cable first? If not you might want to try that. Sync with the cable. When the sync completes, select the option to sync over WiFi. Quit iTunes, restart your computer and phone and then try again. This shouldn’t matter, but it might help if the phone is plugged into the wall socket to charge as well, at least for the first time.

Nov 20, 2017 10:52 AM in response to Demo

Thank you, but yes i did all that.

On my iPhone X, in general settings-where you can trigger wifi sync, it asks me to enable it within iTunes, which I've done, then undone, then redone. I've restarted everything etc...it won't happen from the iPhones end.

Curiously, if i initiate the sync (whilst iPhone is not connected to iMac)-it works-it syncs over wifi. If i initiate it from iPhone (either through settings or just attaching it to a charger-it won't.

Nov 20, 2017 11:50 AM in response to cos constantinou

Another thought.... do you have iCloud backups enabled? I had problems when I had iCloud backups enabled on my iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2 unless I turned off iCloud backups on both devices first. I never sync with the cable anymore and as long as I have the iCloud backups turned off before I sync, I can initiate the sync from the device or from my Mac.

Dec 10, 2017 8:29 AM in response to cos constantinou

I don't have a fix for you, just some more observations:

Trying to sync iOS 11.2 on iPhone 6s and iPad Air (series 1). To MBP 13" late 2016 (4xUSB-C +Touch bar - macOS 10.13.2)

Sync via lighting to USB-C cable works OK

Sync via wi-fi works if initiated by applying power to either iPhone/iPad or from sync button in iTunes on the macbook.

On iPad/iPhone - wi-fi sync settings page does not acknowledge connection to MBP.

On iPhone it says connect to iTunes via cable and select the sync over wifi checkbox in iTunes - That box is checked.

For both iPhone and iPad, unchecking/apply/check/apply/sync whilst tethered does not resolve. On iPad the wi-fi sync settings page, an old Win7 system is listed. Newer Windows 10 and the MBP are not - All have synced via cable and wifi to both devices in the past (but the iPhone 6s has been wiped/restored since connecting to the Windows systems). At that time the MBP would have been on Sierra (10.12), and iPad/iPhone on iOS10.3.3

Use reset iPhone/iPhone privacy settings to reset the trusts (and of course re-allowed the trusts).

So for me it's the settings page in iOS which is misbehaving and it could be iOS11 or High Sierra related.

Oh joy!

Cannot enable iTunes wifi sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.