Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update Apple ID

I use a gmail address as my Apple ID. I recently made an icloud address using my mac. Now I wanted to change my Apple ID to my icloud address today.

I found these official instructions.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

I did whatever was mentioned there. I signed out Apple ID on my mac. I don't have any other apple device. And I went to the apple ID site to make the change but it only gives me the following error.

Your Apple ID cannot be updated at this time. Please try again later.

If that matters, yes my icloud address is added as secondary address for my Apple account and I can login using this address. But I want this as my primary address not the gmail one. I have tried changing multiple times but nothing happens other than that error. Please help!

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2017 7:45 AM

I spoke to the customer support again. This time an attentive guy there was able to point out the issue that is happening with my account.

Apparently Apple has put some restriction on new iCloud email accounts and they cannot be used as primary Apple ID for first 30 days.

They have added the following note in the documentation page as well but it is written in fine text so it goes unnoticed. One has to pay attention to notice it. It says:

"If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address created within the last 30 days, you might be asked to try again later."

I made my @icloud address 2 days back, so I guess in my case I have wait for 28 more days after which I hope I will be able to change my primary Apple ID address. Let's see.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2017 7:45 AM in response to Eric Root

I spoke to the customer support again. This time an attentive guy there was able to point out the issue that is happening with my account.

Apparently Apple has put some restriction on new iCloud email accounts and they cannot be used as primary Apple ID for first 30 days.

They have added the following note in the documentation page as well but it is written in fine text so it goes unnoticed. One has to pay attention to notice it. It says:

"If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address created within the last 30 days, you might be asked to try again later."

I made my @icloud address 2 days back, so I guess in my case I have wait for 28 more days after which I hope I will be able to change my primary Apple ID address. Let's see.

Nov 21, 2017 1:13 AM in response to Eric Root

I have not found any help online yet for this error. Maybe not many are getting this kind of error. I don't even know the technical reason why this may be happening to me. This is quite frustrating for me.

RESPONSE FROM APPLE SUPPORT: I called Apple Support today and they gave some vague answer that I am able to login using your icloud address so that is the maximum I can do. I explained them I wanted this icloud address as my primary email ID so that all Apple email will land on this ID but they don't seem to understand. They looked confused and told my icloud address is also my Apple ID because it is listed under 'reachable at' so it cannot be used as primary ID. They told I can only change it to any other third party address but not icloud. I showed them the apple support article which discussed the new option to change third party address to icloud address. Perhaps the support guys themselves had no idea about this new update from apple.

Unable to update Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.