Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Empty, oddly named folders appearing in home directory

Since upgrading to High Sierra, I've noticed empty, oddly named folders appearing in my home directory such as:

{

cesCu

cutabÖ ögA*ö7

ntern

y

z

I periodically trash them, but new ones eventually pop up and it's getting annoying. I haven't been able to link any activity to them appearing. I know it's not a lot to go on, but I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2017 8:06 AM

SOLVED. I found a person on Reddit with the same issue and by comparing notes we were able to track this down to a Safari plug-in called ActiveGS.plugin. To fix: go to ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and move ActiveGS.plugin to the trash. Quit Safari. Delete the oddly named, empty folders in the home directory as well as the folder named ActiveGSLocalData. Restart your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2017 8:06 AM in response to DonkeyKongJr

SOLVED. I found a person on Reddit with the same issue and by comparing notes we were able to track this down to a Safari plug-in called ActiveGS.plugin. To fix: go to ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and move ActiveGS.plugin to the trash. Quit Safari. Delete the oddly named, empty folders in the home directory as well as the folder named ActiveGSLocalData. Restart your Mac.

Nov 21, 2017 11:24 AM in response to DonkeyKongJr

Hello, DonkeyKongJr.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It's my understanding that your Mac is creating random folders in your home directory. I may be able to help you with this. This may be an app that's placing temporarily folders in that directory since they come back after deleting them. Did you download any recent items or apps and are they the same names each time the folder returns? I would start by trying to narrow it down. Create a test user account and use safe mode:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

This can help you determine if it's within the system software or something in the user account.

Let us know and we'll go from there.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Empty, oddly named folders appearing in home directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.