Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with Preview App Annotations Notes and Highlights in High Sierra

Recently upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1 and have had so much trouble with the preview app, when viewing PDFs, ever since.

It seems the new version is not compatible with the old version in several ways, and also has a number of glitches.

Below is a list of issues I have had, mostly related to annotation features.

1. I previously relied heavily on the notes function (using shortcut control, command, N) and it seems many of my notes have disappeared, some are still there but appear differently / have some missing content / symbols don't appear as they did.

2. I relied on the sidebar showing 'highlights and notes' to view my notes that I would add, for example on lecture slides, with explanations of the content. These are no longer viewable as they used to be. The size of the notes in the size bar is restricted to about one or two cm, so you cannot view the entire note anymore, which is very frustrating !

3. Most of my highlighted content no longer appears correctly. The app seems to highlight random areas above / below the text that was intended to be highlighted. It all appears very messy and hard to read.

4. Highlighting on the latest version of the app also doesn't appear to work very well. For some reason selecting text on PDF's is difficult, as though the app cannot read the order of the words, and it does not highlight neatly as it used to.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered these issues, and whether there might be any resolutions coming in future updates.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), null

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 10:57 PM

21 replies

Mar 8, 2018 10:36 AM in response to jeremy_v

I just updated to High Sierra from El Capitan.

Preview shows a red box over may parts of text. It goes away when i resize the window, but goes into other pages. Really weird. Basically not working right at all. ?

Preview showing a pdf document page with red over the text.

User uploaded file

If I move the window it goes away but comes back again on other pages.

User uploaded file

Nov 24, 2017 2:50 PM in response to 112399856

Hello, 112399856.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It's my understanding that you're experiencing several issues, mainly with Annotations Notes and Highlights with the Preview App. I do have a few suggestions that may help with this. I would first start by narrowing down the issue. Try a fresh document and see if any of issues appear. Then use these articles to find out if the issue appears when using a test user and safe mode:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Safe mode article has some additional steps to take if the issues persist or don't persist.

Let me know if this helps

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Dec 7, 2017 2:42 PM in response to jeremy_v

I have the same problem on a new computer. Nothing installed except for the pre installed programs. Just opened a pdf in preview and it deleted the text in almost all my annotations. It must have somehow written the changes into the file as well because opening the same file on my old computer, where it was created, the annotations were missing. It was a file in my cloud so I did not have a copy and now it seems like it can't be undone. Made a safety copy of some other pdf's and then tried again, (also in safe mode), same result.

Please advise

Feb 20, 2018 2:44 PM in response to 112399856

I have frequently used Preview Notes over the years and would like to continue using them. Updated to macOS 10.13.2 and there has been no improvement in the Preview Note bugs discussed above.

I have resorted to adding Preview Text objects instead of Preview Note objects. As an Apple Developer this has NOT been a very good "Use Experience"! I wonder how Steve Jobs would feel about this type of situation? Is there no plan to fix Preview?

Feb 20, 2018 2:44 PM in response to Old Time Scottish Lad

Preview has been categorically horrid from version 8 onward. Bugs, loss of functionality, and workarounds to perform even basic tasks.

Preview 7 was arguably the best version of all. It worked so well that when the buggy version 8 rolled out, some enterprising non-Apple developers created a backdoor to reinstate Preview 7. But a few OS versions later and Apple made version 7 unusable.

Flashforward to the crapshow that is Preview 10 with even more bugs built into the program.

Add to the issues the loss of automatic text entry once the note is created. Now each time you have to double-click the note to start typing.

And don't get me started on the "Show Notes" function in Print which used to create text bubbles in the left margin--now they are simply blank yellow boxes.

Apple has let this embarrassment drag on for years. Don't expect them to suddenly take an interest in a free program and provide fixes. Apple...simply...doesn't...care.

Feb 15, 2018 11:39 AM in response to 112399856

I have now switched to Adobe Acrobat permanently. The layout may not be as good as Preview--but at least the program works!

Not sure why the pride in Apple died with Steve Jobs. It is astounding to me that a company that is supposed to be a leader in the tech industry would not feel shame for releasing such a blatantly defective program.

Then again, a precedent was set with that bug-infested Podcast app for iPhone.

Mar 16, 2018 4:14 PM in response to 112399856

To everyone on this forum. Since Apple has not fixed the issue, and we all seem to hate Adobe, I started using Skim (https://skim-app.sourceforge.io/ - something's up with the hyperlinks on this site). It's pretty good and there are also other alternatives. I like it because it doesn't copy/paste with all the awkward line breaks.

If you do find this helpful, do mark it that way so that others don't have to suffer 😐.

Mar 16, 2018 4:33 PM in response to JackTTS

Skim is based on the same underlying frameworks as Preview — and works well due to its different origin, and developer focus. Don't overlook the power of Skim's AppleScript support, and included command-line tool that are discussed in the documentation.

Skim is at the mercy of Apple because it uses the same underlying PDFKit developer frameworks as Preview. When Apple makes mistakes in the PDFKit framework, and they do — it impacts Skim until either Apple fixes it, or Skim ingenuity codes around the issue.

I have found that mixing annotation additions between Preview and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is bound to reveal incompatibilities with Preview. Partly because the PDF support in Preview is ancient and incomplete — and partly because Acrobat Pro/Reader DC implement annotation differently in a richer, more frequently updated PDF application. Adobe is in the best position to do this.

Issues with Preview App Annotations Notes and Highlights in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.