Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After update to High Sierra all my files deleted

Hi!
After update to High Sierra all my files deleted...it's very important to recover lost data...what soft I need or what can I do? I'm looking for Canon Raw (cr2), and jpg files.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 21, 2017 2:18 AM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2017 2:56 PM in response to M.Levon

Hey M.Levon!

I can definitely appreciate why you'd be concerned about missing some files. Let's see what can be done about that. It's important to note that files aren't cached by default whenever they're erased, so we'll need to look for information that may have been backed up before this happened. Check this out specifically:

Restore specific items from a Time Machine backup

1. Open a window for the item that you want to restore.
    For example:
    • To restore a file you accidentally deleted from your Documents folder, open the Documents folder.
    • To restore an email message, open your inbox in Mail.
    • If you're using an app that automatically saves versions of documents as you work on them, you can open a document, then use Time Machine to restore earlier versions of that document.
  2. Choose Enter Time Machine from the Time Machine menu User uploaded file, or click Time Machine in the Dock. This example shows Time Machine for the Documents folder:
    User uploaded file
  3. Find the items to restore:
    • Use the timeline on the edge of the screen to see the items in your Time Machine backup as they were at that date and time. The timeline may also include local snapshots.
    • Use the onscreen up and down arrows to jump to the last time the contents of the window changed. You can also use the search field in a window to find an item, then move through time while focused on changes to that item.
    • Select an item and press Space Bar to preview it and make sure it's the one you want.
  4. Click Restore to restore the selected item, or Control-click the item for other options.

User uploaded file

Restore everything from a Time Machine backup

To completely restore your Mac, use the “Restore from Time Machine Backup” utility in macOS Recovery. The disk you're restoring is erased before receiving the macOS and other contents of your Time Machine backup.

To copy just your files, settings, or user accounts, use Migration Assistant.

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

If you aren't able to recover your files that way, there isn't any other integrated system or feature that can view deleted files, so you may need to look into third-party apps. I don't have any to recommend, but be sure to do thorough research into any you might be considering, just to be safe. Cheers!

Nov 24, 2017 3:29 PM in response to M.Levon

Go to System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive

Select Options

User uploaded file

Check to see if you have Desktop & Documents Folders checked. If yes, you should see your Desktop and Documents folder under iCloud in the Sidebar.

User uploaded file

Uncheck to turn off.

User uploaded file

When you turn off Desktop and Documents, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new folder is created on your Mac. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

1 From your Mac, go to Apple menu  > System Preferences > iCloud.

2 Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.

3 Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.

4 Click Done.

User uploaded file

After update to High Sierra all my files deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.