Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

newly purchased hp desk jet 2655 printer will not connect to wi-fi

I just purchased a HP desk jet 2655 printer with wireless printing capability. The installation instructions say to go to the HP website (123.hp.com) and follow the installation instructions.

When attempting to install it the laptop recognizes the printer but when I click "join" for the printer to establish a connection with my wi-fi the laptop displays a message saying "the device could not be found." I've been in touch with Apple and they tried a few things but couldn't figure it out. My ISP said its not a modem issue as other devices (i.e. iPhone, iPad and MacBooks) are connecting without a glitch. I contacted the manufacturer and they said I would have to pay US$100 as they are saying that something is blocking the connection attempt. Thats daylight robbery given the fee is three times higher than the cost of the printer.

My macbook is running El Capitan (10.11.6) and all software updates have been installed.

The laptop's system requirements also meet the printer's OSX requirements as it has to be compatible with El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Nov 22, 2017 9:12 AM

7 replies

Nov 22, 2017 9:25 AM in response to egani

It sounds like the printer wont join the wi-fi and if so it's not a problem with OS X

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

you may want to try a factory reset of the printer

HP DeskJet 2600 Printers - Wireless Printer Setup (Mac) | HP® Customer Support

and make sure you are using the most recent driver for your specific OS for that device directly from HP.

HP DeskJet 2655 All-in-One Printer Software and Drivers | HP® Customer Support

It's not uncommon to have a CD or DVD in the box that is useless for what you have.

Also when possible do not install all the CRAP that was bundled with the device as you would not believe how much chaos this can cause with the printer. You only need the basic driver and let the Mac manage everything else.

if you are having Wi-Fi issues and not printer issues you can rule it out by connecting the printer via USB to the mac and seeing if that works.

From the pics I'm seeing on HP's site you also have an ethernet port so you could connect this to your router directly with a CAT5,5e or 6 cable that reaches from the printer to the router. Just make sure thats what is is on the back right hand side. If you do and you can do this you can still use all the features of a network printer, air print to other devices, etc and you will have fewer points of failure across the network to the printer.

If that is not working you have a far more serious issue and should reset the printing system in OS X.

macOS Sierra: Reset the printing system

Nov 22, 2017 9:46 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Thanks JimmyCMPIT,

I followed the instructions you sent but the printer still won't connect. It connects using the USB cable. This might sound dumb but I don't want to risk opening up the cartridges and putting them in the printer and then I'm stuck with it if that is what is preventing the installation from moving forward but I highly doubt that.

Nov 22, 2017 9:59 AM in response to egani

To appear on your network, the Printer needs to know a few things. These items must be set in the Printer's memory before you begin, because without them it cannot "get on the Wi-Fi" to do anything else:

• the network-name (i.e., yours, not your neighbors')

• the network password

• "use DHCP" OR use a fixed IP Manual IP address

Best long-term results are for giving the Printer a higher Manual IP address in the same range: for example, for a Router at 192.168.1.1, computers getting DHCP addresses at 192.168.1.101, set the printer to much higher number, but NOT of the last number in the range (typically .255) -- so use something like 192.168.1.200 -- BUT you can do this later.

Nov 22, 2017 2:30 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I ensured all the network name was mine. I even entered the wi-fi password manually when prompted to allow the software to obtain the password from keychain. I verified the modem setting and saw that the DHCP was enabled.

As an FYI, I only have the modem I have is the one provided by my ISP called the Home Hub 3000 (Bell Canada). There are no other secondary routers in the house.

Nov 22, 2017 2:32 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT

I followed Grants suggestion but had no luck...

I ensured all the network name was mine. I even entered the wi-fi password manually when prompted to allow the software to obtain the password from keychain. I verified the modem setting and saw that the DHCP was enabled.

The ethernet cable is fine. As an FYI, The only modem I have is the one provided by my ISP called the Home Hub 3000 (Bell Canada). There are no other secondary routers in the house.

Nov 22, 2017 2:37 PM in response to egani

I even entered the wi-fi password manually when prompted to allow the software to obtain the password from keychain.

Keychain is on your Mac.

Your PRINTER needs this information, fat-fingered into its keypad and display, before it has any hope of getting on your Home Network.

You cannot download this information to the Printer, because unless and until the Printer has this information inside it, it is deaf and dumb concering your encrypted Network. It does not know the decryption password.

newly purchased hp desk jet 2655 printer will not connect to wi-fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.