Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning beach ball when moving files and folders within their parent folder

I've not noticed this problem before until I bought my new MBP 15" with Sierra (10.13.1):

Scenario:

Folder A containing:

File B

Subfolder C containing files D, E & F

If I select files D, E & F and file B, then drag them into Folder A, I instantly get the spinning beach ball, which requires relaunching Finder. However, if I just drag files D, E & F to folder A, and then drag file B to folder A it works fine. Yes, I know it's actually redundant to drag B into a folder it's already in, but the point is it used to work fine under all previous OS versions. I'm assuming it's to do with moving a mixture of files and folders that originate within the tree under their parent folder, which may be confusing Finder. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 22, 2017 9:50 AM

14 replies

Dec 11, 2017 6:29 AM in response to Original Gazza

your concern is not at all unfounded, however for clarity the Etrecheck software was developed as a tool to assist any volunteer here into the configuration of another system without providing any personal information. This product has been recommend countless times on this forum since it's development by a frequent contributor to this site. You can choose to use it or not, but it can be invaluable to determine if there may be a conflict with another service or the installation of rogue software, incompatible software, adware or malware and rule that out.

Spinning beach ball when moving files and folders within their parent folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.