Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra fix for "System Extension Blocked"

I have been experimenting with VMs over the past couple weeks and finally decided which to keep. I uninstalled both VM apps and then installed the version I had just purchased. All was good until I rebooted and started getting "System Extension Blocked" for two third party apps, ESET and Parallels. After lots of bits and pieces from various forums I found a solution and am up and running again.

1) From terminal type: "sqlite3 /private/var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy '.dump kext_policy’"

****-MacBook-Pro:~ *****$ sqlite3 /private/var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy '.dump kext_policy'

PRAGMA foreign_keys=OFF;

BEGIN TRANSACTION;

CREATE TABLE kext_policy ( team_id TEXT, bundle_id TEXT, allowed BOOLEAN, developer_name TEXT, flags INTEGER, PRIMARY KEY (team_id, bundle_id) );

INSERT INTO kext_policy VALUES('P8DQRXPVLP','com.eset.kext.esets-kac',1,'ESET, spol. s r.o.',8);

INSERT INTO kext_policy VALUES('4C6364ACXT','com.parallels.kext.hypervisor',1,'Parallels International GmbH',1);

COMMIT;

Find the team_id value for app/s that are failing with “System Extension Blocked” and write down id on paper. In my case both ESET and Parallels were failing.

2) From terminal type: "spctl kext-consent list”. In my case the list was empty even though the apps are listed in the step 1.

3) Reboot to recovery, holding down command-r while restarting.

4) From menu > Utilities open terminal and type the following replacing the team_id’s noted from step 1:

“spctl kext-consent disable”

“spctl kext-consent add P8DQRXPVLP"

“spctl kext-consent add 4C6364ACXT"

“spctl kext-consent enable"

5) Reboot and reinstall the apps.

My feeling is there are two lists, the first (kext_policy) seems to maintain list of all installed and doesn’t remove entries when an app is removed from the system. The second (kext_consent) has a flaw where when an app is delete it removes the list rather than the entry in the list for that app. Once the list is restored all seems to be good.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 22, 2017 7:48 PM

There are no replies.

High Sierra fix for "System Extension Blocked"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.